Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Alex, that's about the most intelligent statement you've made. Day by day the music and this whole hobby is becoming more and more irrelevant; especially when I know why people don't have jobs and are suffering so much; there has been a transfer of the wealth in this country that most people don't understand; it's related to the price of food and gasoline among other things. But you can count on the media to get everything wrong; intentionally.

Fox TV seems to keep more people dumbed down than anything I know; nothing is more stupid than that left, right talk, and "race" is used to manipulate people into doing all sorts of stupid s--t.

in 1980, I sold real estate in the grandest subdivision I have ever seen that the "working man" could afford to live in. The space in all these uniquely designed homes was divided up in a way where just about anyone could get what they wanted.

Some had huge kitchens with a center island, like kitchens you see in rich LA homes. They all had 3 or 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a double car garage. They also had a family room for entertaining, and a small front room, that stayed spotless because it was never used. Although all these homes had the same total amount of space, it was divided up in many different ways, and they were all in the same price range. This subdivision had it's own security and a swimming pool.

At that time there were three Black families living in that subdivision, who all were professionals with degrees.

There was never any kind of "known" problem in that subdivision, but an "unknown" problem existed; one racist agent told his client not to sell to Blacks, and my Black client wanted to buy that house. They caused so many problems, that I finally persuaded my client to pick another, even better house in that same subdivision.

The Whites that lived there worked at the Aircraft factory, or at Ford Motors; this was the American Dream, and it was available for the working man. It was available because of the Unions that made sure the workers got their fair share of the profits.

While neither that subdivision or that community was racist; I have three points to make: 1. A working man could afford a grand style of living at that time.

2. Instead of enjoying his grand life, he resented a Black man living in the same life style.

3. He resented it so much that he voted against his own economic interest for the sake of some racial interest that won't buy a slice of bread.

By voting for people who consider working class people beneath them, and only consider the interests of the arostocracy, we have poverty for the working man, and riches more than the aristocracy can count.

Those people even turned the Democratic party around; have you ever heard of NAFTA.

If you notice Fox TV uses "race" to manipulate people; some people can be manipulated to hang themselves if they think it's the "Right" thing to do meaning the "conservative" thing to do; they do not have the ability to think for themselves; they talk in left, right code talk, meaning "Progressives" who ever they are, are the bad people; this is the same as when the "boogy man" communists were the enemy, or the union was the enemy, they're too dumb to realize that the union was "them" and it fought for their wages, and jobs and benefits. Now that there is no union, how do they like food stamps?

BTW, hit don't make no difference now. The Democratic president considers the Trans Pacific Partnership more important than poverty or unemployment.   Although this is a music forum and I thoroughly appreciated everyone's contributions, I can chew gum and walk at the same time.

I wish more people would look at what has happened to the middle working class in this country.
Joseph de Maistre: "Every country has the government it deserves

Pretty much sums it up.

Cheers
That video of Paul Gonsalvez sleeping is legendary. Gonsalvez sadly had a substance abuse problem and surely that was the reason for the nodding off.   

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2006/09/comment_the_gonsalves_video.html

Duke's band sounds awesome; even while missing Tenor 1.