Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Zappa was a genius; and, a very opinionated one. He was also a very serious composer and student of the music of Edgar Varese and Stravinsky. He was a very deep musician whose music has a depth, complexity and level of craft that is leagues beyond Santana's. Santana's strength is that great and instantly recognizable tone with a really strong sense of sincerity and very deep "from the heart" quality in his playing. Most guitar players would say that Zappa was an infinitely better guitar player; just as most composers would say that Zappa was infinitely more accomplished. Which one touches any given listener's heart more is, as always, subjective and dependent on what that listener is looking for in music.

"He was a very deep musician whose music has a depth, complexity and level of craft that is leagues beyond Santana's."

Although I was deeply offended by that statement, I didn't have time to respond, but now I've got plenty time.

It really takes some gall to make a statement like that; who told him he was qualified to make such a definitive statement? I told him many times that music was "subjective" but I see it still hasn't stuck.

"Santana" has been one of my favorite artists since the late 60's, and still is. I don't know how many vinyl copies of "Abraxas" I've replaced, and after all this time, it's still a hot item; I use it for a test record, and no one ever complains. It seems that people who like many different genres of music have that one in their collection; I wonder if Frogman has it in his collection?

Here is the first cut on "Abraxas", you decide;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xskk5q1DL6A

Enjoy the music.

Tony Scott, music for Zen meditation, I was struck by the first few notes; it's the kind of music you listen to in solitude with no distractions, I'll have to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ylh0C5Wsog

Enjoy the music

Orpheus10, I think original German record will sound best. I tried to find a Japanese copy but there appears to be none available.