Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
As always, generalizations are fool’s folly. I challenge anyone to post an "old" guitar or tenor player playing the same "licks" as Metheny or Brecker played on the Jazz Baltica clip.
Great Jazz Story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9slpDoJ_H0k

Kenneth Clarke is an extremely prominent figure in British Conservative politics.   He has served in every Conservative Government since Margaret Thatcher.

This current Government will be his last Parliament.   He just wrote and published his memoir.  It's titled:  KIND OF BLUE.   Yes, THAT, Kind of Blue.    Great Jazz Aficionado.

He is the namesake of the great Jazz drummer Ken Clarke.

A real feel good story for true Jazz Lovers.   Which may even  include a few of you guys.    19 dollars hardcover on Amazon.

Cheers
Hello Rok.  Been wondering where you were.  Would say "welcome back" but that might be kind of presumptuous on my part (johnny come lately as it were)...never the less, WELCOME BACK!  :-)

Hey Frogman & O - my bad taste comment was made a little tongue in cheek but thanks for the consideration.  Frogman - I have to agree a little bit with O on the Metheny.  Now, I could be talking out my southern orifice and I do need to give that Baltica vid another shot but what O said is almost exactly the feeling I got.  That is, Pat was sort of doing an imitation of something that just didn't come across with any conviction, energy, passion...whatever.  Just seemed kinda tired to me.   Like I said, could be southern orifice talkin'.  On the other hand, I DON'T agree that young musicians playing old jazz material is automatically "bankrupt".  The improvisational wonder of jazz should prevent that so long as they make it their own and bring something fresh to the game...or so I think.  On another point, as i wrote in reply to Rok a while back, I'm one that thinks there are parameters by which music CAN be objectively evaluated.  There's good and bad sh** independent of what I or anyone else thinks.  I think this can influence the subjective experience too....education whether book learning' or on the job training (years of listening!) can inform taste AND taste as a discriminatory ability can be cultivated.  Point being, the opinions of some are worth more to me than the opinions of others.  The subjective response of someone with good taste carries more weight with me than someone without the education - however that eduction was gained.  You realize, the two of you, that you are sort of the Yin & Yang of what's been (at least recently) an ongoing theme in this thread.  Two sides of one truth.  

As far as the Pat Martino, Joey DeFrancesco "The Great Stream" - I missed that first time around.  I don't keep up with all the music posted here.  It's like this major buffet.  Just can't eat it all.  Pat's quite a talent.  It blows my mind that he suffered an aneurysm and had to relearn his art from the ground up more or less.  So props to Pat but after the first few minutes of his soloing I was getting a little restless.  That's just me.  How do these guys get up there night after night and find something new to say?  I'm sure it's not all brand new every night.  Passages get reworked and reused.  Still the creative flow is amazing.  Clapton has commented about the "burden" of being lead guitarist in Cream and sometimes running out of ideas - on stage!  Got to be scary.  I don't get any sense of that with Martino - not in that performance, anyway.  For whatever reason, however, I sort of preferred Joey D.'s solo a bit more.  Maybe because it was shorter, more concise? or I just like that Hammond sound.  Will definitely share that clip w/my bro-in-law...a musician.  So thanks to you both for my on-going jazz education.

Inna, you'll benefit from what I'm going to tell you whether you get a reel or not, but especially if you get a reel.

My set up goes out of the phono, into a highly modified interface. They didn't have "audiophile" interfaces then, but they do now. Out of the interface, into a Blaster Audigy 2Z 5 card on the computer, that's what you need to archive vinyl.  You can probably get a better card for your computer now.

It's a good idea to go on the PC forum for help; they understand that we're audiophiles, and don't know squat about computers, those guys are very helpful.

With your computer you can have a vinyl library, that will be identical in regard to quality as the way you were talking about doing it. That's the way people did it before computers; now, even the most finicky audiophiles are doing it this way because whether you get a reel or not, you still want a vinyl library in your computer. Those PC guys are experts, and they will help you.

Have fun.