Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Thanks to everyone.  

O - Don C was probably before I started visiting regularly.  I know the name but never listened.  Got Milarepa playing now. Pretty atmospheric. Sounds like something Miles would have done a la Silent Way or Bitches Brew.  

What's that little horn Don is holding?  Either he has big hands or that thing is tiny!  Pocket trumpet??  

F - I did say my "fixation" on tone was a shallow reason!  Hey, when you come up listening to Clapton, Page, Hendrix, West & Taylor and that's the sound that trained your ear, it's hard to adjust to this "clean" jazz sound.  Seems kinda wimpy.  I believe you when you say the Martino and Metheny solos weren't "abstract" but to my ear, hard to hear the connection back to the source.  Would be interesting to hear a jazz guitar piece transcribed for, say, trumpet or VIBES (that's the ticket).  Wonder how that would hit me.  I really didn't HATE those 3 albums just not something I felt compelled to go and buy.  On the other hand, if forced to pick one of those players to learn to love, I'm thinking it would be Wes Montgomery.  

Acman - Thanks for taking the time.  Sideman vs group leader, might well make a difference.   Joe Pass' work on that On Time recording you recommended (I believe) was very enjoyable even though I don't get all giddy about the sound.  

Rok - You are a card as they used to say.  Good recommendation on that Smokin' at the Half Note.  Fits Acman's sideman proposition.

Thanks for all the tutorial attention, gents.  
Feeling a bit like the slow kid in class.  :-) 

Rok, I started out with Hank in 63, but I see by his discography that I fell way behind. I'm going to correct that. From what I've heard from other musicians, he was a most likeable person. Here are the goods on him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Crawford

Enjoy the music.

Rok, it's a lot of fun going into an excursion into one musician. On our Ahmad Jamal trip I got a lot of good new music. I was thinking about going into Hank Crawford. What say you?
One of my faves.  GREAT alto sound; especially on stuff that leans more to pop.  Don't hold it against Hank, Rok, but he was one of Dave Sanborn's biggest influences.  Crawford, along with players like Maceo Parker (James Brown), created a style of alto playing that was bastardized by an entire generation of "Smooth Jazz" alto players.  They play with an over-the-top "emotionality" that I can't stand.  Tone that is nasal, whiny and with way too much vibrato; like the guy on that Billy Ocean clip.  What these young players often don't know is that the style didn't start with Sanborn, it started with Crawford.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4nbouwehaMY

http://jazztimes.com/articles/25671-hank-crawford

Frogman, I don't consider Hank "Pop or smooth jazz" soulful jazz maybe, but definitely not pop or smooth jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAxFv8UojKM

What would you call this?