Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
****great blues song writer, Willie Dixon, said Blues is the Truth. I think he nailed it.****

Funny, I thought that what exactly what I was saying.  Beyond that, I think my comments are fairly clear.  It's late; maybe tomorrow.  Btw, nice Dee Dee.  Ferrell?  Yikes!  What was she thinking?  Everything but the kitchen sink.  I always ask myself when listening to a singer scat, what would that sound like coming out of a horn?  Thanks for the clips.

Ghosthouse, you said you were interested in knowing more about Don Cherry. That little horn is what's called a "pocket trumpet"; that was his favorite horn when he was in his Tibetan Buddhist phase, Milarepa is one of Tibet's most famous poets.

He went through many different phases, but his Tibetan Buddist phase is my favorite, and "Brown Rice" is among my most cherished albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKCLoR0K6uQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksvkksFW6y4

This is "Journey of Milarepa"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaHyXB-LRk

Rok, said this one reminded him of Miles Davis's aunt Corine who made her living telling people's fortune. When the price was right, she could even make their fortunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bF5yqfaYVw

Enjoy the music.
Hello O.  Yup..."pocket trumpet" came to mind after I asked the question so I looked that up.  Don is actually mentioned in the Wiki entry for that type of trumpet.  The think I find interesting is that they claim the sound is the same as a conventionally sized trumpet.  Seems unlikely but that's what is says...so, the obvious question, why did Don prefer it?  Surely something other than the packing convenience.  Thanks for the other links to more of him.

Frogman - No offense taken.  Didn't read anything as being critical of me.  Some great quotes on the blues.  What would be interesting in the discussion here is to read some exploration of the connection between blues and jazz.  What music falls is in that "transition" zone?  I'm wondering if some of the stuff in Toussaint's "Bright Mississippi" might be examples of this.  

Listened to more Jazz Pistols last night.  Their "live" is very good...might be better even than the studio Superstring.  

Thanks as ever for your input about PBBB, Sanborne and that soprano sax player with the (French?) "gypsy" guitarist...forget his name.  We don't like Kenny G.  (though I thought he played clarinet!).  Call him the "noodler".  What vapid stuff.  My earlier, earlier comment about not being a fan of soprano sax was based entirely on Coltrane's sound!  I didn't know it could have a different more pleasing tone.  Hard to keep up with this thread.  

Rok - who is this oracle of NYC you've mentioned a couple of times?

Ciao