Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
What I don't get is this, how can anyone like Adderley and The Jazz Pistols at the same time.

Rok - I'm supposed to think you gave the Jazz Pistols a serious listen?  And further, based on your past couple screens worth of diatribe, why would I even attempt to explain?  Assuming I could!  Kinda like asking me how I can like Chocolate ice cream and Pistachio.  Ya get it or you don't.  

Here's a question for you...
Why you gotta be so surly?  It ain't like you don't have constructive things to offer but you always seem to wanna pick a fight.  

Later for that.  

re Cannonball Plays Zawinul...
An Amazon review and a link to the album liner notes:

http://albumlinernotes.com/Cannonball_Plays_Zawinul.html

4.0 out of 5 stars
adderley & zawinul = frantic fun
By William J. James on February 20, 2005
Format: Audio CD
Before there was WEATHER REPORT, Joe Zawinul made a significant contribution to jazz via his partnership with Cannonbal Adderly. Joe was the piano player in Adderly's band in the early 60's...a seemingly strange collaboration between a Southern born African American sax player and an Eastern European, classically trained pianist. But from the opening track, it works and it works to such a degree that this cd moves like a runaway train. There is, of course, Zawinul's hit MERCY, MERCY, MERCY which is atypical in the context of the other selections (but a great soulful, funky classic) but it is clear that Adderly recognized Zawinul's writing talent and gave him his due by playing his compositions exclusively on this recording. Adderly and Zawinul were on the cutting edge of jazz at the time this recording was made and their music stands not only as a foreshadow of what was to come but as a classic in its own right. The album SOUNDS like a live club date but the listener has to wonder if CAPITOL records once again made a studio recording with drinks and "friends" in attendance. It all just adds to the frantic fun these musicians appear to be having at this juncture of their celebrated careers. dr. Muse
While I applaud the attempt to post about music on a gearhead site, I am curious as to which jazz CDs may have been remastered and re-released to give the best sound quality.

Let's start with Trane...

any info?

That was a statement of fact that apply's to everyone, not just you. Many reviewers talk about how reviewing the equipment gets in the way of enjoying the music.

"Subjective"; somehow you are misinterpreting that word; it simply means that when we look at the same thing, we see two different things; there is no right or wrong.

"Stereotypical" I use that word a lot; meaning I've heard those licks before; Miles talks about that a lot. The "riffing hip phrases" he was hitting in the 50's, he can't stand to hear them anymore.

So many jazz sax musicians have a tendency to do "Bird" like riffs that I've heard before.
It's possible that things that sound new to you, are unoriginal to me, hence, that word.

"Objective" has no room for any other opinion; that opinion is the right one and all others are invalid. Do you have such an opinion?

Some jazz enthusiasts might consider the requirements of this thread to high for them; it's often necessary to express thoughts in writing, not everyone is qualified. plus as Rok stated, we got everyone who wants to post on this thread, ain't that enough.

Ghosthouse, I was listening to "74 Miles Away" while writing this post, it sounds better all the time.

Frogman, I enjoy your technical expertise even when I don't know what it means; but as long as Acman and Rok understand it, that's good enough for me.

Enjoy the music.

Randy, although I'm the OP, I don't speak for anybody else; in my opinion you would do better to post that on the music forum separately. Only when a recording is really bad will anyone mention it, and that's rare.

Enjoy the music.