Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Everyone posted fantastic music that I like a lot. Since I want to own anything I don't already own, it's for sure I'm going to go over whatever the music budget is.

Fortunately, I own Nancy Wilson; I've worn out many records, thank God for CD of that album.

I'll get back with individual comments on everyone's posts.

I'm enjoying the music.

This is an open question to everyone, and try to leave your bias at home; I want to know whether or not the fact that jazz musicians are seen so much in foreign countries is a culture factor, or an economic one; are there more or less venues for them to entertain here in the states?

While we all know about the culture factor; putting that aside, are there more, or fewer places for musicians to appear in the last 20 years?

Enjoy the music.
As a former bar and club owner, I can share my experiences, from European perspective. Went often, for years to places like Perugia, Italy ,http://www.umbriajazz.com , or to capitols like Berlin, London and many more.  To The States as well, but I guess the Frogman can say more,he is at home there.On all these places I tryed not only to go to clubs, but also to speak with owners or menagers to understand better how the 'scene' looks from their perspective. I do not like to make general conclusions, because the attitude toward music is specific from town to town, or even from place to place,(the biggest and probbably the best jazz festival in europe is in Switzerland http://www.montreuxjazz.com ) but I think its pretty obvious that jazz music (as far for the number of people interested for it) is a very  'endangered species', for decades now. Reading just recently here, a post from a man from San Francisco (sorry, forgot his nick now), where he says that unless you do not have Diana Krall in a club, you cant hope for a bigger audience, says it all. The market has no mercy. In some places,in Europe, the jazz clubs and events are sponsored by the town or by the state, as a projects of culture. As for the prices, if someone is interested,I can say only that local 'stars'(that play music which could be used for torture chambers in Guantanamo) in my country charge for a one night gig in a club, between 6t usd up to 35t usd. House music 'D.J.' depending of their popularity would ask for even much, much more.  Last couple of years we have a house festival in my home town https://youtu.be/qKH9DpPNCrM, with 'music', that needs no comment, but that has brought more touristic attention than all combined efforts of a whole country. Again, they are also sponsored from local and state officials. Would they do the same if it was jazz? Hardly, unless it could bring the crowd.So, to cut long story short, there is no culture without welthy sponsors and I guess the same is in the US, been to famous NYC jazz clubs that were half full on Friday night, despite the great artists playing there

Thank you very much for your input Alex. From what I've been studying, the rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer; that's a manufactured fact, not an opinion.

Although we are all aware of the culture factor, now the economic factor is in play big time; it not only relates to jazz, it relates to everything else.

I know exactly what you mean about clubs half full; this economic thing is world wide, here, the ghetto is third world. I saw those poor people in Cuba, and their teeth looked a lot better than teeth in the ghetto; not pushing anything Frogman, just relaying what I observed on the posts you submitted of poor people singing.

Reality is not something you put a smiling face on, but look at it for what it is, and do what you can to change it, if it's ugly. Not trying to start a different conversation, just looking for some economic facts from honest people, minus propaganda.