Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Hello O - Always appreciate the music suggestions. Jimmy Smith is a name I actually know. My bro in law, a musician and boutique studio owner (does it all...engineering, production, arranging, mastering) is a good keyboard player too. Has a Hammond B3 he’s done some restoration on. He turned me on to "Back at the Chicken Shack". Jimmy Smith was in that Blue Note concert DVD too.  Of your two tracks, I like Motorin’ Along best.  Burrell and Smith is a good combination.  I like what Burrell plays on that track a lot.  His sound might not have the bite of modern electric "rock" guitar but he sure has great skills.

Got to say, I think we should meet up some time for lunch at Kate’s. Wish there were more of those old style luncheonettes still around.  Might have to get that Home Cookin' just for the cover art.  Thanks.

Ghosthouse, that would be nice to meet up at a luncheonette like Kate's; it was at a place like that I had lunch and met with a friend, who played "Motorin Along" on the jukebox there every time we met.

It's a funny thing about those old "Tube jukeboxes"; they were my first exposure to "high end" and I didn't even know it. I didn't even know why I liked the much prettier SS Boxes a lot less when they made the changeover.

I don't like to repeat, so be sure and tell me if you've heard this before. "Oregon" reminded me of a group I liked a lot, that I was buying at about the same time I bought "Oregon"; that was the group "Shadowfax". Here is "One Thousand Teardrops".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQY0rA5W574

They also had the best recording quality I had been exposed to. If you liked Oregon, I imagine you liked this group as well.

Enjoy the music.

That’s a good memory for you, O. I’m guessing you have 10 years on me based on the music you were listening to and your description of the juke boxes. By my time I’m guessing it was all solid state in the NJ diners. They’d have these table top terminals with a big wheel on top to turn and flip a sort of Rolodex with the names of the singles. Feed it quarters and punch in a number or letter and number to get your song(s) in the que.

I know of Shadowfax. Have one of their LPs (Dreams of Children) I bought not all that long ago. Did not follow them closely. There used to be a good program on public radio out of NYC, "New Sounds". John Schaeffer was the host. See link here...
http://www.wnyc.org/people/john-schaefer/

He played a range of new age, ambient and electronica on his program. That’s where I first heard Shadowfax. Also got introduced to Brian Eno, Harold Budd and Jon Hassell through that show.

If you enjoy Shadowfax, you might like The Penguin Cafe Orchestra. Here’s a sample. Pretty certain it ain’t jazz, though. Might not even be that similar to Shadowfax but the two names are linked in my head for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPpRJoYISSQ&ab_channel=itsfredholmestoyou

Found "A Thousand Teardrops" on Tidal (included in the album "What Goes Around: The Best of Shadowfax".  Playing it now.

I hope you're enjoying "Shadofax"; I'll peruse my collection and see what else I can find by them.

While my collection might be 90% "jazz jazz", even steak everyday would get boring; this side trip is proving to be quite interesting.

Enjoy the music.

Ghosthouse, I'm surprised that you liked "Bright Mississippi", but it encompasses many cultures and goes back a long way; a wide range of people like it, that indicates how broad that "Nawlins" thing is.

I just found "Ancient Future"; their music is akin to "Shadow Fax", I posted a few cuts before, now I'll see if I can find some new cuts to post.

This one is from the CD "Asian Fusion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKMRAUlAB6E

This is from the CD "Dreamchaser"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ViRD6ZoGM8

Between the two CD's you might find something that will catch your ear.

Enjoy the music.