Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Good call on Al Grey. I have him as group member on a lot of stuff.

It's that time of year once again. There is something just not right with this performance. Not sure what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZe1j1ybGEg&index=1&list=PL_men8Mkj32-xrxr6eh-OiMV9auTBEClI

Cheers
O-10, all that you posted re Urbie Green is true. He is a great player and one who could play in any setting. Not really a stylistic innovator, but definitely one who pushed the envelope as far as what what possible to do on the trombone; an instrument that puts certain technical limitations on the player due to the absence of keys or valves.

JJ Johnson, on the other hand, was definitely a stylistic innovator who pushed trombone playing's harmonic reach into the realm of trumpet and saxophone players with a more modern rhythmic style and grasp of harmonic language. This is apparent in this clip which also features the mentioned Al Grey; another great player, but one for whom the technical limitations of the instrument are still obvious. As great as his playing was, in Grey's improvisations one can hear much more of a swing (as opposed to bebop) approach to improvisation and a reliance on "effects" such as glissandos (slides) and the use of a mute which are all throwbacks to his Count Basie days and, reaching further back, the role of the trombone in early jazz or Dixieland. This is certainly not a criticism as his playing was certainly very exciting, but it is obvious that he "generalizes" the chord changes of the tune while JJ makes each chord change obvious and musically logical. The rhythmic feel of each is also worth noting with Grey playing with an upbeat closer to the downbeat which gives the playing a jauntier and, arguably, less relaxed feeling; all throwbacks to a less modern style.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xuDtYLSlwgM

One of my favorites has always been Slide Hampton. A modern player with an advanced harmonic language but whose tone always says "trombone!", being robust without sounding like a lower pitched trumpet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLxpFcEqKLShkNXTwVII-KCS10cZ4PuaP3&v=VxF_6MKiuTA

Here he is with another great; Bill Watrous (first solo) who took the trombone's technical reach even further. Not long ago it was unthinkable that a trombone player might be able to play with that kind of technical facility and speed which obviously lends itself well to bebop, but requires the player to play more lightly; arguably making the instrument lose some of its characteristic growl.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hDj3k6k8mRw
The perils of dying in Nawlins. I bet old Kerwin thought he was going to rest in peace. Instead, He went on the ride of his life or should I say, his death!

The most absurd thing ever.

Cheers