Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Nice! Yup, elegant and economical. Thanks for the great clip, Acman3.

Tommy Flanagan's obituary in NY Times:

"Tommy Flanagan, elegant jazz pianist, is dead at 71"

Alex, really liked the Dick Garcia clips; thanks for that.  Very nice player that is new to me; you did it again.  Biggest surprise for me was Bill Evans playing in a very harmonically "inside" and swingy style.  Much of his recorded work has shown a harmonically complex vocabulary in his improvised lines and harmonies, surely and in part a result of his affinity for the Impressionist composers (Ravel, Debussy) as you pointed out a while ago.  On this clip he keeps things much more simple harmonically and even the very swingy feel here has his usual sense of understatement.  

Great to hear Tony Scott on clarinet on "Have You Met Miss Jones"..  Like Hambro, one of those guys who was a hero to the players but never gained much public recognition.  The clarinet doesn't get too much love on this thread unfortunately.  The greatest bebopper on the clarinet:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzKLE9BwVs

I don't know what jazz is, but I know it when I hear it, I also know you can not learn it in anybody's school; not even the best in the country.

My kind of jazz began with "Be Bop"; that's what "Bird," Dizz, Monk and a few other musicians worked on before Miles; he came to New York looking for Bird.

It's a funny thing, but none of them liked to call their music "Be Bop", but they had to call it something, why not "Be Bop". Although that's what made them famous, when they played music from the heart, meaning music that emanated from deep down in the soul, it
didn't even sound like "Be Bop". That's the music we call "Jazz", we had to call it something.

I also know they wanted a type of music that couldn't be stolen; music from the inner depths of the soul couldn't be stolen. I might call it "Geist" music, because a guy named Hegel spent his entire life trying to explain the soul in print, but he never succeeded.

Since he couldn't do it in a lifetime, I certainly can't explain it in a post; but I believe I understand it as well as Hegel. I'm sure he understood it too, but just couldn't put it in writing. That's what the jazz men were after; something that couldn't be put in writing, and patented. They succeeded beyond their wildest dreams; that's what this thread is about, and that's why we keep hoping and praying that some new musicians will come along and give us what they gave us, but it ain't happening; so I say, until that time;

Enjoy the music.

The Straw Man: ooops errrrr, I mean  The Frogman:

***** "Tommy Flanagan, elegant jazz pianist, is dead at 71"*****

I'm sure they were speaking of the person, not his music.  After all, it was an Obit,
he was dead, not his music.

Of course you know this.

Cheers