Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Very pleased to hear your take on it as a musical journey, O.

After I posted the link was thinking exactly that and how it related to your earlier post. The whole LP does indeed make for a nice musical journey. Master Nishimoto is a superb tour guide. The entirety will be worth your while, if you are so inclined.

Personally, it took a while for me to get my head around it. Couldn’t make sense of the individual compositions initially. It kept drawing me back though...maybe ’cause the sonics and textures are so appealing. Anyway, some things really do get better with repeated listening.

In regard to "regression"; presently, I'm attempting to stay in a steady state of "mellowness"; that is the same frame of mind I have always preferred; maybe I'm regressing back to that.

In regard to music, I just ordered a CD, "The Diverse Yuseff Lateef" because my vinyl copy was too noisy. I thought about replacing Grant Green "Idle Moments" LP, but since they're asking "50. bucks, my old LP really doesn't sound that bad; "equanimity" sounds like a good word to express my attempted state of mind. (it's fun to use a word when You're not quite sure what it means, lets look it up)

am-webster.com/dictionary/equanimity
Both "equanimity" and "equal" are derived from "aequus," a Latin adjective meaning "level" or "equal." "Equanimity" comes from the combination of "aequus" and "animus" ("soul" or "mind") in the Latin phrase aequo animo, which means "with even mind."
Equanimity | Define Equanimity at Dictionary.com

Sounds close enough. My old music is still sounding very good in rotation with anything new that I acquire; I don't know if that's regression or not; I'll let you make the call.

Yes, I am so inclined and will place that CD on order.

Enjoy the music.
Hey, O - good luck getting the Lavandula CD.  First run sold out at "Sonic Pieces", the Berlin label he records on.  2nd edition was produced but their on-line shop is closed until Jan 25.  I did find a downloadable version available at Junodownload (WAV, FLAC, ALAC & AIFF) if you roll that way  ;-) otherwise you'll have to wait for the Sonic Pieces store to reopen.  And don't believe that mention of "we're closed but you can buy our stuff at ANOST" if you click on <<Purchase CD>>.  Can't tell you how much time I wasted looking around the ANOST site for it.  

http://www.junodownload.com/products/takeshi-nishimoto-lavandula/2243115-02/ 

http://www.sonicpieces.com/sonicpieces018.html
w/respect to "mellowness". Frogman had turned me on to Pat Martino.

Came across his El Hombre (Rudy Van Gelder remaster) - debut from 1967. It is very good BUT I also this evening stumbled onto his 1998 Stone Blue. VERY impressed with this one. Especially the remake of "Joyous Lake" it contains.  Sax (4:30) and Piano (7:50) solos are excellent. Don’t know the other musicians, maybe you do.

Personnel
Pat Martino – guitar
Eric Alexander – tenor saxophone
Delmar Brown – keyboards
James Genus – bass
Kenwood Dennard – drums, percussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBsyQmorCIM&ab_channel=aseaoffaces