Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
****Since The Frogman says the regime frowns on Jazz, there might not be that much NEW, to discover. Except the expatriates.****

To put it in perspective: it is illegal in Cuba to listen to American radio stations. Cubans can tune in to Miami based radio stations a mere 90 miles away, but they have to do it in secret and risk repercussions if caught. Now, rest assured, there is some jazz (real jazz, not Latin jazz) being played in Cuba, but you won't find it in the clubs and certainly not on youtube; big no-no. As far as Latin-jazz goes there is plenty of it there of the type that we hear here and has been posted; but, that is not the problem. Some of the expatriates left Cuba because they wanted to play JAZZ; not Latin-jazz and not Latin-jazz that was "sanctioned" by the government. Note that the tune being played and sung by the bar band in your clip (yes, that is in Cuba) is a Bossa-nova; I doubt that "It Don't Mean A Thing If....." is on their song list.
Not Cuban, but, I own them and they are both great. Good music to listen to, while searching the youtubes for the elusive NEW Cuban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNWZ0pQR7ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDGIT-djGo

Cheers

Rok, fossils still like to look at foxes; although I noticed the audience was quietest when she was just moving and not singing.

Well folks, apparently it's time to get back to our regularly scheduled program, unless someone has more to add on Cuba.

Rok, am I ever glad I still have my Miriam Makeba records. When I tried to replace them with CD's, I found they don't exist. Her best records were made about the time she made that clip. My research person told me some were only released in Europe, and are very expensive; I didn't ask, "How expensive"?

If anyone has anything to add to the Cuban dialogue, fine, otherwise we'll get back on the tracks.

Enjoy the music.
No problem moving on, but IMO there is MUCH more to add; it would be a mistake to think that there is no more new Cuban music worth exploring. Much of it may not be jazz (or even Latin Jazz; whatever that is) as we may think of it, but the musical heritage of Cuba is huge and practically inexhaustible. The Fox in the video of the bar band singing Girl From Ipanema is an OK singer, but it would be a shame to end the discussion of new Cuban music with that; nothing new about that music, and not a particularly good performance. I think this is much more representative of the kind of creativity that can be found in Cuba (worth noting is that in Cuban music it is very difficult to separate the dance from the music):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMTA3Ay5FI

For Frogman, and other adventurous souls who like "free jazz". "John Coltrane offering, live at Temple University", is the title; this is the frenetic expression of how much more Coltrane had to say on "My Favorite Things". This fits the description of the live set I went to, and it contains 2 CD's. With 45 minutes of "My Favorite Things", they probably needed 3 CD's, but maybe 2 was sufficient.

I haven't tried, but I doubt if we can get a sample on "you tube", so somebody will have to buy and review "Offering" for the rest of us, and I nominate "Frogman".

Since no one could maintain interest in Cuba, we can move on and keep Cuba on the sidelines.

Enjoy the music.