Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Orpheus, I have no idea, why there aint more participants on ’our’ part of forum.
From my experience I can say that Frogman could be right, I remember when the tone and words written here made me make a long pause....

Than again, now I tend to look to funny side of some of the posts, so instead of making me wonder about one’s sanity, more often I laugh....

But, I believe that people in general should not take themsellf so seriously...
Perhaps, with more empathy would come more understanding...

In that name, one song that I like, its not jazz or country....hope you all will like it....Solomon Burke and the Blind Boys of Alabama....’None of us are free’

https://youtu.be/88mEX5zv7Jw

This one is good too...Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama....11th commandment& Well Well Well
https://youtu.be/RPn8ivGUVG0?list=PLEB46B84DA0CD65DE

Francesco Cafiso:  Loved it!!!   Will check out his output on Amazon.   This is a player I could buy.

Maria Schneider:

Esperanza Spalding:

From the comments section of the Spalding clip page.
{This isn't jazz, but prog rock/pop, kind of like Joni Mitchell.}

{nah there's a lot of jazz in it. genres are lame anyway}

Genres are lame???  

Cheers
Solomon Burke:  Not much going on with the instruments, the voice and lyrics are the thing here.   Solomon is one of the all time greats and one of my favorites. However, the lyrics, though well delivered, could have been written by the Reverend Al wing of the Democratic party.   Put me off.

Ben Harper and the Blind Boys.  Loved it.  Seems as if there are only three of the Blind Boys left.   Sad.

I will post some of my Solomon Burke and Blind Boys in a minute.   Great Artists

Cheers.

Rok, it's amazing you should mention Joni Mitchell; I got a record where she was celebrating Mingus's Birthday with Mingus, and I bought anything I saw his name on.

Who knows how many years have passed since I last played that record; I'm recording records to the playlist. After I recorded that record, I deleted it. That's who I thought about too.

I'm going to do this everyday, but I'll give my opinion last.

Enjoy the music.