Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Without a doubt, that would have been better with a southern choir; everything goes better with biscuits, butter and molasses.   Which reminds me of a joke, "How can I have Mo-lasses, when I aint had No-lasses"?

Somehow, sophisticated Northern soul is not quite the same as southern "Nawlins" soul.

I've got one more cut to conclude R2D4, and it's one that's probably already in everyone's collection; "Grace, Passion, and Fire", features three of the worlds greatest guitarists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3iGy4ErYNE

Enjoy the music.
Grace, Passion and Fire:

Virtuoso playing by three masters of the Guitar.  However, they forgot to get to the Jazz part.

Ever notice how albums like this will always give you a tip-off by the album cover art.   Land or sea scape.   That seems to indicate soundscape music inside.  No foxy babe on the cover of this type music.

Cheers

Rok, for me, that's universal, ageless music, it never gets old, and also has good recording quality; that puts it over the top.

There was another piece of music that fit in that category, and we both liked the way they danced, but I can't remember it right now; it was a traditional dance, maybe you can remember and find it.

James Booker is fantastic, and us soul survivors will testify to that fact; you got to love "Nawlins".