Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Today's Listen:

Jimmy Smith -- HOUSE PARTY

with: Lee Morgan / Lou Donaldson / Tina Brooks / Kenny Burrell / Art Blakey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibRLr8o2Rb4 

with: Lou Donaldson / Eddie McFadden / Donald Bailey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4UoU91m_Vg 

Cheers

House party is definitely one of the best jams ever; I believe I could make a hit record with the lineup like he had on that one. Good times forever! Keep em comin.
East Coast vs West Coast:

Why were all the East Coast guys black and all the West Coast guys white?

Answer:
The East, primarily NYC, was Mecca for all musicians, esp those coming from the Mid-West and the South.   NYC was the final destination  for the arts long before LA and the West Coast.

So, if  I were a second rate horn player where would I go to earn fame and fortune?   I could go to NYC and butt heads with Miles, Hubbard, Morgan, Dizzy, sticking with trumpets, but the same applies to all instruments and musicians.

OR

I could go to LA where Jazz had no history or establishment and try my luck there.  Also no large Black audiences to please.  It being the land of the movies, most folks there were air heads anyway.  Or course we know that "genres" are created to fit players.   How else do we explain a guy like Brubeck playing 'West Coast jazz'?  I think he would have liked  nothing better than to be top dog with the East Coast, or 'Real Jazz' crowd, but everyone has to eat.

At one time the Jazz scene in Southwest Idaho was jumping.   I think it was called no-coast Jazz.   Don't get me started on Nebraska Bop!

The logical, or illogical, extension of this is Benny Goodman being crowned "The King Of Jazz."    This at a time when almost any Jazz giant you can name was alive and playing.

One Frenchman's opinion.

Cheers
Rok, I am afraid that your "opinion" is based on some inaccuracies and mistaken assumptions; I am not sure where to start.  I hope that pointing these out is not felt to be breaking some "detente" and I'm sure you will appreciate some accuracy.

****Why were all the East Coast guys black and all the West Coast guys white?****

While it is true that most practicioners of "West Coast Jazz" were white, not "all" were; Buddy Collette, Benny Carter, Chico Hamilton and Red Callender, to name a few, were black. 

****So, if I were a second rate horn player where would I go to earn fame and fortune? I could go to LA where Jazz had no history or establishment****

The idea that only second rate players were found in LA is absolutely not true and very unfair to the many great players who hailed from LA and were part of a movement in jazz that reflected a different stylistic aesthetic from that of the East Coast and not a reflection of lesser quality.  Additionally, it is not true that in LA jazz had no history or establishment.  There had always been a vibrant Jazz scene in LA with traditional jazz playing a very prominent role.  Even your fave Jelly Roll lived in LA for many years.

LA was, in fact, were many great musicians went to "gain fortune".  Many of the great LA jazz players were also very successful session players in the LA movie studios recording for the countless movie scores being produced.  Unfortunately, that scene was racially segregated during the 40s and 50s, but players/arrangers like Benny Carter were able to change that situation for themselves and all that followed.  There is an interesting connection between the existence of the Hollywood scene and the West Coast Jazz style.  In keeping with, and perhaps as a result of, the demands of the movie industry for very well crafted and extended compositions for their movie scores, the West Coast Jazz style highlights the compositional elements of the music much more than the East Coast (hard)bop style which is typically that of a simple pass through the melody followed by improvised solos.  The West Coast style features more intricate compositions with elements of Classical counterpoint and it was the first time that the very demanding concept of a jazz ensemble without a chordal instrument (piano, organ, guitar) was implemented; all this with a typically softer ("cool") instrumental tone approach as opposed to the harder edged East Coast style.  Does this make it jazz that is less "real" and the other more real?  Since when do the French decide what is real jazz? 😊

Oh, and btw, Benny Goodman was never crowned "King Of Jazz", he was first called "King Of Swing" in 1936; and for good reason.  Swing (a very specific style of jazz) and the Swing Era was touched off by Benny Goodman well before most of the great players one can name.  For perspective's sake, Bird recorded his first record in 1944.

Cheers.