Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, here's a new name "Noah Preminger"; on this clip he seems to be doing a pretty good Trane imitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9eiyNqU3_M

After so much discussion about Lee Morgan, I decided to focus exclusively on Mr. Morgan. You are known by the company you keep, and no where is that truer than when you decide to make an album; Lee Morgan was always surrounded with headliners.

"Since I Fell For You" has long been one of my favorite songs going all the way back to "Lenny Welch";

"When you love me, and then you snub me.
But what can I do, I'm still in love with you." Been there done that, hope to God I never do it again.

Lee Morgan had me crying in my beer all over again; he could tell a story on that trumpet of his like nobody else.

My listening room is the den, which has a fireplace in the shape of a large arch; I have tiny Christmas lights around that large arch, which functions as the center of the sound stage; since I don't have to please anyone but me, it's Christmas all year round. The musicians emanate from the fireplace; this room is my exclusive domain. On this particular evening I settled down for some serious evaluation of "Mr. Lee Morgan".

"A Night In Tunisia" is a tune recorded by all the heavyweights, and when one places in the top 5, it has to be "dynomite". Lee Morgan's sustained riffs on that tune has not been exceeded by any that I've heard, plus Pepper Adams baritone slicing and riffing right back at Lee's trumpet is the contrast required for maintaining the intensity of this tune. Lee closes it out by riffing like he's in outer space, no body could blow notes that fast, and that clear; which is why so many chose him as the best trumpet ever.

"I'm a Fool To Want You" is one of those ballads with a lot of slow burning emotion; that's Clifford Browns territory. While no one can take Cliffords crown, Lee comes close.

"I Remember Clifford", I don't think anyone does this one as well as Lee Morgan.

My night with several Lee Morgan albums was sustained without one let down. I'm awfully "persnickety" and most of the albums in my collection will have a let down, but Lee Morgan's albums were grade "A" in sustainabilty, meaning they didn't have any dropouts, they kept you on a high level of enjoyment.

Enjoy the music.