Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I may owe Rok an apology. I listened to a few cuts of the Dr. John CD and what I heard was, at least on first listen, not good. I will have to hear more latter. Seemed more "old school" than "modern."

Ms. Morrow has a strong background and praise from Curtis Fuller cannot to be overlooked. I will have to keep an eye on her.
Acman3:

No thanks necessary. Just doing my duty as chief of Jazz police.

Cheers

Acman3:
I guess it comes down to, who you gonna believe, me, or some Jazz Heavyweight like Fuller?

Cheers
The Learsfool: (Our resident Brass guru).

In the latest issue of GRAMOPHONE, in the obituaries, is listed the Principal Trumpet player of The LSO. He was Principal for 25 years. Killed in an auto crash.

Before the crash he had excperienced health issues and had asked to be assigned to the Third Trumpet chair. No action had been taken before his death.

My question is, if his request had been granted, would all the trumpet players just move up one chair? Would they look for another principal?

Paganini: Some time ago we discussed "playing all the notes in a piece by Paganini". I think you and The Frogman said it could be a matter or taking all the repeats, or not. Well the magazine returns to Paganini, and this time what they mean is clear.

Apparently many condutors and/or players just cut out certain portions of the music. In a performance by Michael Rabin, 151 bars are cut or deleted.. The article implies there is no rhyme or reason. So if you want to hear every note of Paganini do your research.

Speaking of brass: Just received a copy of Dvorak's "New World". Wiener/Karajan. Brass galore!! Outstanding recording!

How great, if any, is the ability between the Principal players and the others members of that section, in an Orchestra. Esp the Brass players.

Cheers

Frogman, this is so beautiful; it's about musicians from different parts of the world coming together in "Bombay", and creating new music. What is that instrument Caroline, the lady in the cap playing?

I've liked these musicians individually for quite awhile now, since this was done some years ago, we get to see the outcome. I'm looking forward to your creative musicians analysis of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFb9-lik2cg

Enjoy the music.