Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@acman3

Thanks. Doubt we’ll make a convert but that is some amazing work by McBride. As noted before, these guys have to have like martial arts quality fingers. Would not want to get poked in the eye by one of ’em.

That Henning/Pedersen Double bass Steeple Chase recording seems interesting. Don’t know Sam Jones. Without looking him up, guessing he’s playing the guitar. Anyway, thanks for posting.

Going back to that Chick Corea video "Steps". His runs are very impressive but I love the chords he bangs out. Don’t know Kenny Garrett at all but I was struck by that mellow tone he has. Sounds very oboe-like at the start of his soloing at around 7 minutes. That is one crazy over the top solo...especially how he ends it on those ascending intervals of sustained notes. That’s a good one, Acman. Great performance. There is JOY in that video.  Roy Haynes - wow.  Thanks.

Ghosthouse, I have that CD, and I only play it to discover what it sounds like.

I like Bud Powell, and I like Chick Corea even more because I have him throughout my collection; but I do not like that CD.

Bud Powell did his thing, Chick is still doing his thing, and those things are a very long way apart; trying to associate both things did not work for me.
Orpheus - Okay...I expect you are talking about "Remembering Bud Powell"?  That had the same personnel as in Acman's last video (well worth watching, I might add) + a few additions.  

If you fell in love with songs as done by Artist A, I can appreciate there's going to be a higher threshold to cross in order for Artist B's version to be enjoyed or, even tougher, loved.  

Regardless, don't miss Acman's video of "Steps".  Pretty high energy.  

Ghosthouse, a lot of things sound better when you come in with no expectations.

This female vocalist was on the scene the same time as Dakota Staton; she was smoother, and more "late night", without any edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYyB4tODRQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tgh5BOTCuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DwPn1wCxIE

There was something super cozy about "I wish You Love" in the winter, that imagery of being in a cabin and looking out on a snow scene.

Enjoy the music.