Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Hey there O - Funny you should make that comment about Portuguese.  Learned a little Spanish.  Grew up around Italian.  For various reasons been exposed in the last few years to (Brazilian) Portuguese from native speakers.  I expect there's a difference from that spoken in Portugual proper, never the less, it has struck me as the most beautiful sounding language - and like you, I understand none of it.    

"...jazz in general is a language that doesn't speak to you."  - broadly speaking, that might be the case, but I'll continue to look for the exceptions that do.  

Turning the tables a bit, what's your reaction to Brecker's African Skies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCOAvvumyWg
@orpheus10 Based on your post above, I recommend you listen to the song, "Sing in Portuguese" by Randy Stonehill on the "Wonderama" album (1992). It is a song for his grandmother, who was Portuguese, and it is hard not to like--although nothing close to jazz.
Regarding "Somethin' Else" I would add my voice to those that thoroughly enjoy this record. I own it as both a redbook CD (RBCD) and SACD. It is one of the few SACDs that I find rewardingly worth the SACD price paid for the difference between the RBCD and the SACD. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my RBCD version; the Analogue Productions SACD on my system simply sounds better to me. I consider Adderley's version of "Autumn Leaves" my favorite rendition of that jazz standard, which many artists have covered. "Alison's Uncle aka Bangoon" is also contained on my SACD (might be on others' RBCDs too). It is a terrific tune. According to Michael Cuscuna in the SACD liner notes, "In the early '80s, when I discovered an unissued tune from Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else" album, I contacted the woman who handled publishing for Cannonball and Nat Adderley. She couldn't find a trace of music for the piece, but assumed that it must have been written by Nat Adderley since Cannonball didn't write very much. Because Nat's daughter was born on the exact day of the recording session, she gave it the title, "Alison's Uncle" (meaning Cannonball). And that is how it initially came out. Years later someone with keen ears pulled our coats to the fact that it was actually "Bangoon" written by Hank Jones and previously recorded by both Donald Byrd and Gigi Gryce." I guess that explains the absence of the music in the Adderley publishing archives....    
@jafant What is your assessment compared to earlier versions I'm guessing you own?
^^Hard for him to say listening in a truck. ;)

I bought the 50th anniversary and own the last gen digital master and also original US pressing and I like the soundstage of the 50th the best (centered vocals vs extreme L/R panning). Ringo's drums (especially snare) are clearer and more dynamic as well.  No downsides to the 50th compared to the others to my ears. Worth buying to me.

Dave