Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

I have the Lady in Satin CD. The wiki entry was sort of contradictory. I guess they all heard different things. I agree it's painful to listen to her, but still compelling.

I was surprised to read that it made the Grammy Hall of Fame. Not that I put much stock in the Grammy Awards.

Today I will listen to her CD, Lady in Autumn: the best of the verve years. Will get back on it.

Cheers

Rok, I didn't know there were so many foxes in the whole state of Mississippi, plus a female Lester Young.

After reading their history, and listening to the music, I don't see how they overcame so many obstacles, while still looking good and playing fantastic music. There must have been something special in the Piney Woods drinking water.

I thought their music sounded very good, outstanding even, and that's without the qualifier "For a girls band". Their music took me back to that time when it was happening during the WW II years. So many good things would have happened for them "If", and I'm not about to go into the "If's".

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

Glad you enjoyed the girl band.

Today's listen:

Billie Holiday -- LADY IN AUTUMN:THE BEST OF THE VERVE YEARS

I listened to this when I was alone, and the house was quiet. WOW! She is sooo good. She don't need no stinking perfect voice. The feeling she puts into her singing is just amazing. Much better than the 'Quintessentiasl vol 5'.
Very good recorded sound. Even the strings on the last few tracks of CD#2 could not mar her performance.

From the liner notes:

"like the aging fast-ball pitcher who has lost his stuff, she was depending more and more on craft and guile to put across her songs." --- John S Wilson, Jazz Critic.

And then, there was this, from a Jazz Musician, shortly before her death.:

"I'd rather hear her now. She's become much more mature. Sometimes you can sing words every night for five years, and all of a sudden it dawns on you what the song means. I played 'My Funny Valentine' for a long time-and didn't like it-and all of a sudden it meant something. So with Billie, you know she's not thinking now what she was in 1937, and she's probably learned more about different things. And she has control, probably more control now than then. No I don't think she's in a decline." -- Miles Davis, Jazz Musician.

"But, even in her youth, Holiday's voice was not, in itself, remarkable. Compared to Ella and Sarah, she possessed a limited instrument--relatively narrow in range, tone and color. The way Holiday used her voice--her resourceful alterations of melody; her dramatic, often ironic, approach to lyrics; her peerless sense of swing -- is what made her the greatest singer in Jazz history."----Joel E. Siegel, writer of the liner notes.

I tend to agree with Siegel, up to a point. No sure about that 'greatest in history' stuff. After all, Miss Fitzgerald was in history! :) But all are interesting.

Next up, tomorrow, The Complete DECCA recordings.

Cheers

Eddie Harris really came up with some unusual sounds; here he is with "Silver Cycles", which is different from anything I can think of, it's just not long enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wLSlaP8MOQ

I'm in the mood for something different today, can't get much different than this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-2mXN7OQR0

Enjoy the music.

O-10:

Just listened to Ray Lynch and Eddie Harris. I think I'll have Miles' Aunt, make a house call to your place. Sprinkle some Snake Dust all over your floor.

Cheers