Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Well, it is true that men are always noticing and comparing melons 😊.  

You're definitely not imagining the similarities between the two.  First of all, they are both in the same key (F).  They are both modal tunes with few chord changes and changing in four or eight measure phrases.  Both also have a very similar rhythmic feel even WM is usually done a little faster than CI.  The Watermelon Man groove is really a Latin groove very similar to the Cuban "guajira" beat and Cantaloupe Island has a very similar rhythm.  Nice catch.

Acman, the reason I remember that interview is because Horace was so funny, and at the same time articulate. The bassist was tired of repeating "Bing, Bong, Bang" but Horace couldn't live without Bing, Bong, Bang.

They both had a good point, and as I recall they had an amicable split. I see you can understand something like that.

I didn't realize how essential those bass lines were in the string of hits Horace had. I wish I could point them out but I can't; maybe you or Frogman could find the repetitive bass lines in Horace's early string of hits.
Something "newish" (2004)...
Bill Connors, "Return".  BC being the original Return to Forever guitarist (before Al Di Meola)...or so I read.  This is jazz that works for me; hoping others like it too (please don't tell me it's "smooth jazz"!).  Picked this track because of the recent bassist discussion and the great piano work featured (and throughout this recording).  The entire album seems very strong.  Haven't read up on the participants other than the promo stuff about it being Connors' project and a bit of his history with Corea.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-0osZs3hmY&ab_channel=BillConnors-Topic

Frogman - I envy your music education.  Thanks for the melon analysis.  

The guitar is very melodic and the piano sounds good; it's very easy to listen to. This is jazz of a high caliber, performed by some of the best musicians; it certainly keeps my interest; sounds like jazz for a rainy day, with some nice company (as in rainy days gone past).

Orpheus10, after Miles and McLaughlin you can listen to that? It's Manhattan restaurant music.