Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Pryso, I'm glad you backtracked, my mistake that Pepper Adams was not on the "Moanin" cut, I thought he was.

That post was meant to illustrate what a fantastic sideman he was. He was with Mingus, on one, Donald Bird, on another, plus Lee Morgan on a third; the cat could jam. Rok thought that was the best "Night In Tunisia" he had ever heard. Depending on the time of day, the humidity and the temperature, I agree with him. My opinion of who is best on what, changes like that; it's because I listen to so many cats who can really jam. Just think of all the fantastic versions of that jam you have listened to and enjoyed.

I could go on about Pepper Adams, but I think I made my point.

While I would still choose Pepper Adams by a horse hair, Ronnie Cuber was excellent; a close second to Pepper Adams. A lot depends on the first version of a tune the individual has listened to.

That Gerry Mulligan was a fantastic example of "West Coast Jazz"; it's almost like he defines the genre, the mood; LA on a misty night. "Pacific Jazz Records"; when I read that label, I know I can sit back relax, and listen to some fine examples of "West Coast Jazz".

Gerry Mulligan - Reunion With Chet Baker is a slightly different version of West Coast Jazz, that is also exemplified by Jimmy Giuffre; here's Jimmy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCVg1UOADO8&list=RDOCVg1UOADO8

I hope I've commented sufficiently on all your posts.

The Train and the River:

Loved it!!   Sort of reminded me of Stravinsky's "Soldier's Tale".

Cheers

I did the same identical thing, she never fails to light up my day. I know she had to be the jazziest dame in town.

I'm always suprised by your selection for the evening, so get busy.