Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, I'm listening to Quincy; "sounds" a little like "In living Color", remember the fly girls. The music is nice, but not nice enough to get my shekels.

Ice Tea lives in Beverly Hills; you never see Rappers with canes, mine is brand new, but I guess this still counts me out.
Two records mentioned make for interesting parallels. Two completely different genres and styles of both the music and production values; the focus here being the production values.

Quincy Jones’ “Back On The Block” has been one of my “guilty pleasure” records. It showcases the talents of possibly the best pop producer that ever lived. The fact that he was first and foremost a great jazz composer/orchestrator (and trumpet player) was undoubtedly one the things that make him such a great crossover/pop producer. A master at using all that modern studio techniques had to offer to create funky ear-candy that had a lot of musical integrity. Regardless of what one thinks about the music, what he did with the production serves that music to an extraordinarily high degree. Taken on its own terms “BOTB” is a great and fun record which happens to also be a great audiophile showcase; it SOUNDS great.

”Desmond Blue” is also a great record.  One of the first things that I posted here.  Desmond’s playing is superb as always. IMO, this record’s production values are also extremely high and the use of a string orchestra and woodwinds in beautiful lush arrangement serve the music extremely well. Very tasteful orchestrations that match Desmond’s playing style beautifully to the degree that Desmond reacts to and shapes some of his improvisations around those orchestrations. This interplay can be heard easily. In that sense the orchestrations are essential for this record. Beautiful record. Btw, I don’t believe that the strings were “added”. The record was conveived with the orchestrations and I don’t believe there is a version without strings.

Alex, keeping the attention in forgotten players.  Thanks for the great clips.  Forgotten on this thread as well.  You posted Leo Parker a couple of years ago when the focus here (short lived as usual) was baritone saxophonists.  Good to revisit that player.  

Impressive list, mary_jo.  From the list it is clear that Alex is a friend.