Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Alex, keeping the attention in forgotten players.  Thanks for the great clips.  Forgotten on this thread as well.  You posted Leo Parker a couple of years ago when the focus here (short lived as usual) was baritone saxophonists.  Good to revisit that player.  

Impressive list, mary_jo.  From the list it is clear that Alex is a friend.  

Mary_jo, "Desmond Blue" was released in 62; Paul's lush horn, and Jim Hall's guitar were quite a combination; especially after midnight, when the street traffic had quieted down, and we were just cruising with no place special to go. That was the time to listen to "Leo Chears", the DJ in the red vest who played the best jazz on radio. That was his theme song.

At that time there was only one "Desmond Blue", but I think now there is another one with enhanced strings. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned the strings.
O-10, aside from the generally better sound quality of the first clip, both clips are identical; the exact same recording, strings and all. I think you may be mistaken about the “enhanced strings version” thing. Gorgeous record and one of my desert island records.

Btw, I’m a little confused by your confusion. You wrote: “I think now there is another one (version) with enhanced strings”. The clip you posted (both, since they are the same) DO have strings. That IS the one (and only) version.