Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
orpheus10
Great posts on Fela Kuti songs.  I would have posted him myself but did not think anyone would know him. I followed his career from late 70's , own a dozen of his lps. IMO the most important artist from the african peninsula . His music was  not only was rooted with strong african rhythms but he studied here and  spoke of Sly Stone and Miles as influences. His music was comlex but accesible, had great solos but made you want to get up and dance.
The cut you posted was a little more out to my ears  than anything he did but still excellent.. On top of everything were anti-government lyrics in a country where it was  very risky to do that. Long live Fela Kuti's music!!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fTBtuh8kP0g

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yI6ZZsCElTo

nsp, I have several DVD's of Fela, they are very entertaining. The owner of Vintage Vinyl records introduced me to Fela quite some time ago. Fela was a revolutionary on a continent, in a country where revolutionaries lived very short lives.

I say live for a cause, because you're going to die just because........

While the classical jazz in this country can not be replaced, many of the records we discuss have been replaced numerous times in my collection, plus I bought them new beginning in 59; now I need something new, but new music from here just doesn't cut it for me; jazz from other countries is fresher. That's because what they call new jazz here is an imitation of old jazz, or free flowing chaos.

While this is an imitation of "Fela"; it's such a good imitation and the people are different, not to mention the Spanish infusion, plus I like the way she shakes her hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embxt0jQ8f4

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

I like this mostly because of that universal "Jamaican back beat"; it reminds me of time spent on the Island of Jamaica.

I like to share my experiences with you; if this is self indulgent, tell me.

This was in the early 70's, and I wanted to get the full Jamaican experience according to what I had read, so I went alone; this wasn't that cruise ship thing, but weeks on the island.

It began just like my lifelong fantasy; beautiful Island lady making eyes at me under palm trees and incredible Caribbean star studded nights. Am I dreaming? If so, may I never wake up. My dream went on for days,it had me in the clouds; that is until I detected a posse that seemed to be following with disapproval.

When ever you go to a foreign country, there are unwritten rules that don't appear in the travel brochures; don't break them; but how can you follow them if you don't know they exist?

Those were the best of times; my lifelong fantasy; palm trees, star studded Caribbean skies, plus that bonus that no fantasy can be without, you got it; and the worst of times; breaking out in a cold sweat from fear was not good; time to go home. After I boarded the plane, I kept looking behind me to see if the posse had boarded to. I could have kissed the ground Miami sits on when we landed.

Nevertheless, I lived my fantasy, and that Jamaican back beat brings it all back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDLCmMV68lE