Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

This thread is going better than it ever has gone; we have acquired connoisseurs of this music who are at that advanced stage where they evaluate the sidemen on the greatest jazz records. Sidemen were the artists who contributed to those great records, and in many cases were forgotten.

I'm going to go through this process to illustrate what I'm talking about. "The Sidewinder" by Lee Morgan was a great jazz record by any standard; it was even declared a great record by the masses. First, we have to know the artists on this record:

Lee Morgan – trumpet
Joe Henderson – tenor saxophone
Barry Harris – piano
Bob Cranshaw – bass
Billy Higgins – drums

Next we listen to the record;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJi03NqXfk8

Now I'm not going to evaluate, I'm going to allow you to pick which sideman you think contributed the most to this great record.

"You think we be stupid??"

I seem to have heard that, or something similar somewhere before; give me time and maybe I can place it.

Ben Cranshaw.    Sort of like Mingus on piano playing  'hog callin' blues'.   Holds and ties it together.

My favorite cut off that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNK8E7Mwwk0

Cheers

*****mary_jo, in my book the best indication of a person’s character is his/her evenhandedness and sense of fairness; not to mention, logic.  You demonstrate all.******

Logic is probably the least desirable trait in a person of 'good' character.   Logic can take you anywhere.

Cheers