Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Thank you, mary jo . I just wrote what the Japanese say.much easier for them than us .

Since my first trip there one of the many things that I have looked forward to every time I have travelled to Japan is the sense of order (“harmony”) that permeates just about every aspect of that wonderful culture.  While “soulful” is probably not an adjective that comes to mind for most Westerners re Japanese culture, it is in fact a very soulful culture in ways that don’t always reveal themselves to the one time visitor.  Wonderful country,  

Loved “Nirvana”, acman3; thanks!  Some of the best playing by Zoot that I have heard with the extra treat of hearing him on soprano.  Interesting how his musical persona seems suddenly a bit more modern when he plays soprano.  And what a swinging rhythm section!  Buddy Rich sounds wonderful with a lighter touch than he sometimes played with.  You know, much is made, and deservedly so, about the way that bass playing has gotten more and more virtuosic in more recent years, but there’s so much to be said for simple great timekeeping.  Milt Hinton sounds wonderful.  This one goes on the list.

Speaking of simple (in a way), my wife played this today.  Great reminder that in the end it is the power of the delivery that matters and a single voice or instrument can make as much music as an entire ensemble:

https://youtu.be/x0PlS8nuceA

My first year in Japan was very stressful , the last two the most peaceful.Japanese are the living example of still waters runing deep .

Not one American in a thousand knows the back story of Pearl Harbor which is shameful. The Navy Band I showed is out of Youkuska which is the last city on Tokyo bay and the base of both the US 7th Fleet and the potent warships of the Japanese Navy ,the most beautiful ships in the world . Much as I hate war it is something to see miles of the tremendous power of these two allied navies moored close together .

Great guys to have on your side, not known to quit .

For just a plain simple listener like myself if a artist has no time neither do I .

Listening to Nat Adderly's album "Work Song" and not caring about the average sonics at all this evening.  The compositions and musicianship are 90% of what matters anyway.  Such great performances on this 1960 Riverside album by Nat, Bobby Timmons, Wes Montgomery, Sam Jones, Percy Heath, Keter Betts and Louis Hayes.  Never had really immersed myself into this one before but I think it's going to be on the new rotation for a while now.