Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, "I'll Take You There"; this belongs in the category of good music.

"Disco Lady"; those were the days my friend, I thought they would never end.

"Rocksteady"; time to get on the dance floor.

"Do You Think I'm Sexy"; those disco days were a blast.

"Passion"; this one has the "Miami Vice" mystique.

Rok, variety is the spice of life; that play list had a lot of spice.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:
I can find no evidence that your posts have been ignored. This thread has regular contributors, and we know who they are.

There are also people that just 'make the rounds' commenting on every thread on Audiogon. I don't think they are 'into' talking about Jazz. But since it's an open forum, there is nothing that can, or should be, done about it.

However, sometimes the crap they say is so breathtakingly stupid, something has to be said in rebuttal. Hence the tangents away from Jazz.

Now, on the other hand, MY posts are routinely ignored!! Even ridiculed!! I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. Perhaps you, as the OP, can say a few words to correct this outrage. :)

Cheers
Re bullshit and critics:

This has been an issue since time immemorial. It is the way it is and the way it will always be; as soon as someone is given a pulpit, personal agendas and politics of one sort or another will step in. However, there are some good critics that can offer solid guidance; and, more importantly and as with most things, it's up to the public that wants to make educated choices to educate itself and not rely only on what a "critic" says is good. Once again, THAT is the reason to learn more about the building blocks of music.

****But what I find some times in jazz is that you’ll find somebody can get up there and frankly, because I know my training as a musician, I know they’re completely bullshitting.****- McBride

It always comes back to that; assuming the listener wants to base his opinions on something other than gut or emotional reaction. Nothing inherently wrong with that approach, but it depends on how deeply the listener wants to dig"

IMO, a "danger" even bigger than the influence that a clueless critic who promotes bullshit might have is the danger of worthy music that is honestly and creatively pushing the envelope might be dismissed as bs or just noise. So to answer your question, no, not all free or avantgard Jazz is bs. There are a lot of good examples of free music that sticks to the rule of thumb that first a player needs to be able to play "inside" before he can play "outside. THAT is what McBride was saying.
McBride:
Lord, Lord. I know he must have a grand plan.

This is what McBride said:

"But what I find some times in jazz is that you’ll find somebody can get up there and frankly, because I know my training as a musician, I know they’re completely bullshitting. And there’s always some critic who says, “Oh, he’s not bullshitting. He’s just expressing himself in a different kind of way.” And I’ll go, “That’s bullshit!” and now they’re creating a space for this person to garner an audience of confused people who don’t really know the difference: “Some critic said this guy can play. I don’t think he sounds as good as Sonny Rollins but someone said he’s a genius so I better pay attention to him.” Meanwhile, guys who are obviously greater at what they do--it’s almost as if people think anyone can do that. Now this sort of abstract, strange playing that no one can understand, some people now think that’s what they need to get with. Ahh, man".

THIS IS THE ESSENCE OF THE ENTIRE ARTICLE:
" And there’s always some critic who says, “Oh, he’s not bullshitting. He’s just expressing himself in a different kind of way.” And I’ll go, “That’s bullshit!” and now they’re creating a space for this person to garner an audience of confused people who don’t really know the difference: “Some critic said this guy can play. I don’t think he sounds as good as Sonny Rollins but someone said he’s a genius so I better pay attention to him.”

Check out the phrase 'creating space' for the noise makers to the detriment of Jazz and real players. Perfectly expressed!!!.

Cheers
I agree; perfectly expressed and no different than anything I said. I am simply adding that it can't be stopped; it's the way it always has been and always will be. Only solution is for the public to educate itself and be able to make its own decisions. Bitching and moaning about a particular sad state of affairs seldom accomplishes anything. The "danger" that I am referring to I have seen in this thread several times. A worthy player is dismissed as a noisemaker and lumped in with the bullshitters simply because the style is not appreciated or understood. Seems to me that anyone who is serious about this music should promote its growth and appreciate the fact that it will evolve; not stifle it. The space created by the clueless critic then becomes far less relevant. Some of the bullshitters may not entirely disappear from the scene, but the good guys will rise to the top.