Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
*****We don’t have to know a lot of stuff about sharps and flats and chords and all that business in order to understand music; if it tells us something – not a story or a picture – but a feeling ******

We seem to be moving towards a consensus. Which would be a first on Audiogon!!

Cheers

Rok, Frogman is referring to the summer that my friend the professional musician lived in my apartment. He never practiced or expressed the desire to practice, not only that, but an organ would not have fitted in my apartment. (he played organ since childhood in church) Since he was playing three gigs a week of hard driving improvisational jazz, he didn't even know what he was going to play, it's for certain there was no need for him to practice.

I drove him to every gig ( still had the infamous duece), and was mesmerized on each set. The intensity of the music (The dynamic range of live organ can never be recorded)
was in stark contrast to him playing with his eyes closed and a sublime look on his face.

As you stated, the "No practice" was a straw-man, it's for certain no one could get to that level of proficiency without practicing. I understand Frogmans wishes and desires in regard to old and new music, but it is what it is, although when it comes to live music, you have to like what you can get; that's your only option.

Enjoy the music.
The Johnny Appleseed of Music! Damn! I've been called a lot of things, but never that. Thanks for the kind words.

Acman3, it's not that playing around the beat is "allowed"; in fact, it most certainly would not be allowed in a classical orchestra setting. Rather, it is that classical training helps the jazz players better learn the rudiments that I spelled out in my previous response to Rok. It is more a case of it being tolerated for the sake of the student's growth as a more well-rounded musician.

O-10, this is certainly not a topic worth going round in circles over, but there is no "straw man" and why would there be a need for one? The truth is that we previously had long discussions (and one of your recent posts seems to suggest again) in which it was asserted or, certainly suggested, that jazz players didn't practice and study. A revisiting of those posts would certainly show this. I am glad to see that you no longer feel this way.

I don't know what you mean by my "wishes and desires" about old vs new music. I have no wishes about this, other than the hope that jazz lovers who are clearly steeped in the jazz of certain eras, learn to appreciate the simple reality that there is much worthy music being performed currently; including live music.

As "second in command" I needed to set the record straight :-)