Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, you have dug your heels in as you often do and are not hearing the message. That's fine. For anyone else who cares about the truth : No, jazz musicians are not "better". BTW, I read nothing in Pimentel's article that contradicts anything I said.

**** All the so-called highly proficient player has to do, is play what's on the paper. ****

This is so simplistic that it borders on the embarrassing; you really should aim for something higher than that.

Cheers.
I read it Rok, whoever this Pimentel dude is he should be nominated for the fool of the year award , give Rush L. some competition.
Not being contrary just for the sake of it. I will try one more time.

We are talking about Professional players in both genres. Players at the top of their game. I will assume that the Classical players went thru some sort of selection process, that determined that the player was good enough to play in a top tier orchestra.

When they prepare for a performance of, say LvB's 5th, all the players have seen the score before, and have played the music before, at every stage of their career. The conductor does not have to teach or show the players how to play the music.

He will go thru the music and point out the points in the score where he wants certain things. This is his interpretation. The players then make notes on the score. He Assumes they can read the music and play it.

All they have to do is play whats on the paper, taking in consideration the conductor's wishes.

If they can't do that, they are not going to part of an orchestra in the first place.

So, they have been playing forever, he has had teachers at every step of his development, they have been playing the same music (the standard repertoire) that's been around for hundreds of years, the conductors guides them as what he wants in certain passages, and there are over 99 other people playing with him/her. Those 100+ players make wonderful music.

The Jazz Player? I am speaking of small group, not big band.
His entire career and his degree of success depends solely on how the public, the audience, sees and hears him. He must connect. No conductor to guide him or suggest how to play certain passages. No 100+ players to shield him. Can't make it playing just 'standards'. When he solos, he is out there alone. Does not receive a salary, no union, no public financial support, He creates the music as he plays it. He does not create, he does not eat.

Those two to Five players, small group, make music that is downright amazing given the number of players involved. Amazing!! My latest CD is proof of that. Kenny Barron and Dave Holland. Just Two players, making magic.

And if all that weren't enough, the genre is under attack by media and critic backed noise makers.

In my universe, that makes the Jazz players better. It is truly, a survival of fittest situation.

Cheers

BTW, both gurus said that the horn players in the French group (water/fireworks thingy) at The BBC Proms, were out of tune!! Huh??? How can that be?

I have read several reviews where the Berliners and Karajan were accused of being out of tune!! WTF!!!

Maybe these folks are not as "Highly Proficient" and "Masters of their instruments" as one might think.

I soldier on, because I know I am being tested.

Cheers
Some sort of selection process ??
A classical player who wishes to be a soloist or a player in a top orchestra, goes through a "selection process" that lasts for years and years under pressure that causes many fine players to whither under.

It's like you got into med school, completed it and your internship, and then had to compete with a dozen other docs
in a hour oral exam where that decided which ONE of you
gets to practice medicine.

Frogman, I must admit, that never practicing on the first post was misleading.

Enjoy the music.