Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The Trumpet 'exchange' on 'I got you under my skin'.

The winner is?_______

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC7n6SREFew

The more I play this disc, the better she sounds, and the more I like it. You notice the details on repeated playings.

Cheers
Today's Outrage:

On a British TV talk show, discussing the war on drugs, The moderator used Billie Holiday, as an example of how drugs can be beneficial to an artist, by making them more creative. He prefaced his statement, by saying he was a great Jazz fan.

They say there is a Planet Annihilating asteroid out there, with the Earth's name on it. Hurry, Please Hurry.

Cheers

Rok, Dinah was one hot sister, and she was only 30 when she made that album. I'm super sensitive to female vocalists when they still have that "girlish" quality in their voice. When you combine this with the very best young jazz musicians, it comes through the music; it don't git no better than that. Your experience mirrors my own.

Presently I'm on a mission that's led to "analog"; that's that dreaded stuff that requires deep pockets, 3K minimum to beat CD. My cartridge recently had an accident, the clumsy thing ran into my hand.

I paid $35 for records that weren't on CD, and shortly after that they came out on CD. Hopefully what's available only on records will be available on CD in a short while. I have yet to find CD's to recommend.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, the only thing dope inspired was "No Shows". Musicians who used dope would have been addicts had they never laid eyes on a musical instrument or sang one single solitary note.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, patience is a virtue, one we will have to exercise in regard to acquiring Mary Lou's music. In the meantime we can discuss the person who created the music. She was a natural born musician who was way ahead of her time, so far ahead that mom couldn't believe it; she dropped Mary Lou who was in her lap watching mom play, and played the same thing note for note after watching mom. (I wrote about another musician who repeated a Juilliard student's lesson) There was never any doubt as to what she was going to be when she grew up.

It's for certain we want all the music I've posted, and will continue to post; hopefully all of the music wont be on different records. In the meantime, clue me in on anything you find interesting about her, or her music.

Enjoy the music.