Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

Old vs New:
The most correct way of stating your position, which I think, is the same as mine, is that Ellington got it right way back in the day. There are two kinds of music, good and bad. It's as simple as that.

Jazz is no different than any other genre. They begin, increase in quanity and quality, reach a peak that is sometimes called the 'golden' or 'Classical' age, and then, start a slow decline. That's true for the entire genre, as well as for each individual player. The only ones that avoid the decline, are the ones that die young. They remain great, and in their prime, forever!!

As you implied, there is enough old stuff out there to take me past life expectancy. I do not feel compelled to 'move on', just for the sake of moving on. I still listen to old stuff like, Mozart, as well.

Cheers
King Pleasure:

Excellent!! Loved them both!! I will have to research, and get him in my collection. How do you find this stuff??? I have never heard of him.

Cheers
Acman3:
Snarky Puppy ft. Bobby McFerrin:

Nice performance, let down by amateurish camera work and sound. Too shakey and too far away.

I see they formed in Texas at UNT. I asked the question some time ago, "what happens to all the students studying Jazz in college". I guess this is at least a partial indication of an answer. However they should realize they are not in college now. That college boy look will keep them for being taken serious.

Supposed Miles' quintet, had been called "Miles Davis and his Snarky Puppies"? Jazz history would be different. :)

On the other hand, this is not Jazz-Jazz, but, Fusion-Jazz. Different rules and expectations.

Cheers

Rok, I never realized those jazz musicians we admire, could not have made a living without Europe and Japan. I knew about them going over there to escape racism here, but after that was no longer a major problem, I didn't realize they could not make a living without Europe and Japan even today. Have you ever sampled what passes for music on this forum? Even after stretching my mentality to it's limits and then some, I wonder how can they really like that stuff.

When I was getting into the high end, and such places as "High end emporiums" existed, I spent so much time in these places that my wife thought I was seeing another women. I was at this one particular establishment so often, that one of the customers thought I worked there. He had selected all top of the line ARC electronics plus speakers to match, and asked me to help carry it out; since I had to pay my rent some kind of way, I obliged without calling on the establishment. I was most curious as to what kind of music he was listening to on all this top of the line equipment. Since he had a CD with him I asked if he would play it.

After we loaded the trunk of his big Mercedes, I got all comfortable in the small auditioning theater, preparing myself for this exquisite music. Although I didn't know what to expect, I knew it was going to be grand. When he put on a CD of some kind of English Marches, I could have kicked myself for helping him load the trunk; you could play that stuff on a graphenola, and not miss anything. So much for matching the best equipment with the music.

Enjoy the music.