JBL L220A

Ok old timers (Like Me). Does anyone remember this pair from the late 70s? These speakers feature a 15" passive radiator, a 14" active woofer, a 5" midrange, and the a "Cat's eye" high freq driver. I really liked the sound of the JBL L65 Jubals and the L300, L200s ect. I have a chance to take a long drive to pick up a pair that is priced right and near mint in appearance. The question I'm asking before I make the trip is this, Is the sound of the L220A's along the same line as the Jubals or other JBL models of that time that I listed. If someone is familiar with the JBLs maybe they can clue me in as to whether I'm wasting my time on this model. Thanks!!!
audiobeer
I've seen them but never heard them, I have heard L200's, L100's, I own a restored pair of L166 Horizons. I think you might do better with L200 or L300 as the L220 has the 5" mid driver loaded with a diffraction plate "horn" which I really wonder how that would sound.. whereas the L200's horn handles from 800 hz on up. ?? JBL claims better sound with a proper passive radiator than with a port like the others have, however
I owned this pr for 8 yrs.They wil will play very loud
And actually sound good at low volume.they're classic JBL sound bigger sounding than either spkr.
I just restored a pair of L166 horizons too, but the grill cloth is non existent----how would you suggest a (non-original is fine, these are for sound not looks)even the frame the the grill is gone. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Scott
Scott,

I really don't fully understand what you are asking.
I own a pair of JBL L150A and I really love them, I changed the grill a year ago with non-original one and theres no difference.

Please clarify your question to see if I can help.

Rgds,
More to discover