JMW-9/Cartridge Problem

I'm trying to get 1.5 grams on my grado sonata
cartridge, and can't seem to get more than 1-1.25
grams of weight out of the jmw-9 arm mounted
on a scoutmaster. Is their anything i'm missing or do I need a different counterweight?
russe41
I am perplexed at your difficulty. I have the same cartridge & arm and have had no problem dialing in anything between 1.5-2.0 grams using the standard dropped counterweight that came with the turntable/arm from VPI. No additional weight was required. No offense pointing out a seemingly obvious thing, but did you check to make sure all is ok with the Shure gauge? I have had the pivot point get sticky & bind on ocassion.
I just installed a Clearaudio Sigma (4.5gms) on a JMW9 the other day. Clearaudio supplies a lead shim to add in case the counterweight is not light enough for the cart. I don;t know if VPI makes a counterweight smaller then what is supplied with the JMW9. I know they have heavier but not lighter counterweights
I had the same problem using a Karat with my JMW-9. I contacted VPI and they sent me a headshell weight at no cost. Adds weight AND mass. They also recommended against a lighter counterweight as it will further lower the overall mass of the tonearm.
Same problem here, as well, did the same as Jorjen as got the headshell weight from VPI, works well.