Joan Baez - Do I just not get it?

Hi,

I'm a relatively young music/audio guy (24). I recently bought a remaster LP of Joan Baez "In Concert" which I've heard is a great album, both musically and soundwise.

This is my first exposure to Joan Baez - and not meant to offend fans... But I could not make it past song two. Now I love singer/songwriter music, and certainly enjoy female vocals and acoustic guitar... but her voice! It is unlistenable! She uses so much vibrato and sounds like a sheep... baaaaaaa... Stevie nicks can at least get away with being a sheep because she has the rock music to keep the attention away... but joan Baez - How do you guys enjoy listening to this stuff? The vibrato is terrible!
goatwuss
Give a listen to her performance at Woodstock. Same thing, only 36 years younger. Just her style I suppose. Bob Dylan: if you take him only at his voice... I guess it's the whole package.
The only song from Joan Baez I love is Diamonds & Rust. Purchased the Cd for just that song, don't care for the rest. Keep in mind these songs were recorded during a time period when the average gear was more bass heavy then it is today so it could sound a little flat without equalization. Notoriously music that is recorded live never sounds as good & or dynamic as a studio recording in my opinion.
If you want to hear great Baez, try and find some of hear early albums on Vanguard -- even in mono. A voice like a clear bell, no vibrato. You'll understand what all the fuss was about.