Joan Baez - Do I just not get it?

Hi,

I'm a relatively young music/audio guy (24). I recently bought a remaster LP of Joan Baez "In Concert" which I've heard is a great album, both musically and soundwise.

This is my first exposure to Joan Baez - and not meant to offend fans... But I could not make it past song two. Now I love singer/songwriter music, and certainly enjoy female vocals and acoustic guitar... but her voice! It is unlistenable! She uses so much vibrato and sounds like a sheep... baaaaaaa... Stevie nicks can at least get away with being a sheep because she has the rock music to keep the attention away... but joan Baez - How do you guys enjoy listening to this stuff? The vibrato is terrible!
goatwuss
Rja,
I read this thread as a question Joan Baez-Do I just not get it?

My response to Joan's existence as a singer needed to be put into context. Joan symbolizes the very essence of the '60's turmoil. Separating the two in my mind is not possible.

I admit I later brought up politics as it related to PC. If that amount of discussion regarding the times we live in offended you, sorry. Perhaps you need to look at that. I will out of respect for your sensitivity no longer look into this thread.

Thanks to the others on this thread for a fun discussion, but I guess it's too much.

bye

jd
Has anyone heard National Lampoon's "Radio Dinner" LP? Joan Baez is parodied, and you could piss your pants...it's just TOO funny!
JAdem6,
It was the quality of her voice that was in question. It's either your cup of tea or it isn't. I don't know what that has to do with the "politics" of the 60s.
Wow

I was out for the weekend, and haven't seen any responses to this until now. Thanks for all the insight and discussion!

So it seems as though most of Joan Baez's popularity (past and present) stems moreso from her political messages communicated through her music than the actual music itself.

This is fine, though from my perspective in order for any messages to be communicated to me the tools have to be crafted well enough to not be abrasive to my senses and to my musical values.

The point comparing Joan to Bob Dylan was effective for me. I personally love Bob Dylan. Of course the main appeal of Bob Dylan is what he has to say. I feel as though Dylan is more a poet than a musician, and that he used music as a tool to communicate his poetry. I feel he did this effectively. Clearly his voice is not amazing, but it works for me. My girlfriend thinks he's terrible. Case in point.

In any case, I will sample some of the other Joan Baez music that some of you recommended to see if it more to my taste. I'll also try listening to my "In Concert" record again with some of the knowledge I've gathered from this thread to see if it grows on me. Otherwise, you'll be seeing an "only played once" NM copy of Joan Baez "In Concert" on the A'gon.

Merry Christmas
Goatboy- I am having a hard time understanding the difference between your take on B. Dylan "the main appeal of Bob Dylan is what he has to say" and J. Baez "popularity (past and present) stems moreso from her political messages communicated through her music than the actual music itself."
BTW, you and the other youngsters in the bunch may be interested to know that as far as I remember (great quote about remembering the 60s) Joan and Bob were lovers several lives ago.