KEF LS50 or Wharfedale Reva 2 -- which would you buy?

Hi all,

I am considering upgrading my speakers and am between the KEF LS50 and Wharfedale Reva 2 speakers. I'm not able to hear either one where I am located so am looking for some input.

I am also able to get the Reva 2s for about half the price of the LS50, but if the KEFs are the right move I am ok spending more time saving for them.

Some notes to consider:

- Speakers will be used only for music, not TV/ movies
- Receiver is an older Denon DRA 825R (90 watts/ channel into 8 ohms). Minimum is 6ohms (please don't suggest I get the UB5s).
- Turntable is Pro-ject Carbon Debut
- Room is about 15x17 apartment living room
- I listen to everything from classic rock to jazz to classical. I don't listen to hip hop, house, or modern pop.

I am really just looking for beautiful sounding (and nice looking) speakers at $1k or less (I can get the LS50 for $1k or the Reva 2s for $450). I live in an apartment so the music is never loud, just looking for great sounding speakers.

The reviews on both seem very good. The LS50 is clearly a more popular speaker. I guess the question there is -- is it worth an extra $550 for me?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
coaster86
@b_limo
-- thats a good call. I honestly don’t know too much about powering speakers, and all that yet, so thanks for your help. I don’t take it as argumentative - I’m appreciative of the help. I’m not really leaning toward the passive LS50s necessarily, I was initially leaning toward the Reva 2s as they’re quite inexpensive relative to the others. Lot of good info here, and thank you -- I’ve got a lot to look into now haha.

@chrisr
- thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you really liked the KEF LS50s.

@johnto
I’ll look into these for sure. Thank you.

@towertone
 - oh man, the reviews on the R3s are too good. I don’t think I can swing that price, but the R300s wouldn’t be too far out there (currently they go for $1300). I know you loved these but any opinion on the R300s? Did you end up getting a chance to check those out?@bsmg - thank you -- I see those too, seems like a good deal at $1,000. Thanks for sharing.

@ethan_bennet
@tastyfreeze
@hatz
-- awesome, thanks

Does anyone have thoughts on the Reva 2s? Seems like a lot of people have heard the LS50s and all but any opinions on the Wharf Reva 2s?
OP, nice DRA-825R...big toroid transformer.  The 825 and the 1025 had the 'round' black transformer covers conspicuously inside.  I bought an  825 brand new back when they made them (ahem) but found a DRA-1025RA a few years ago and that has been in heavy use to the dismay of my Parasound and McIntosh products.  To the point, I was at a Best Buy Magnolia (don't laugh) and they were unboxing the newer 600 series speakers.  I was the only customer and the staff were friendly enough to let me stand around.  They would probably close the sound room for all the re-arranging and testing they were doing.  At the end, there was a great A-B-C-D-A testing of all the mid-tower sizes of all the Magnolia products on vinyl and digital.  When I heard the Kef in comparison to the paranoid A-B'ing of all the B&Ws (incl two in the 800 D3 line) and their other brands, it seemed a little flat especially on cymbals and higher frequencies.  I was expecting alot more.  It may be sonicly 'more better' to some but the compactness of so much trying to project from one area of a speaker design seemed to lose some definition and sparkle.  I would go with the Revas but possibly also consider Rega RX1s (with the stands)...all my listening forever has been in smaller spaces due to dense big city living.
"I know you loved these but any opinion on the R300s? Did you end up getting a chance to check those out?"

Sorry to say I only heard them once in a showroom. Not ideal but if you find them somewhere like Amazon you may be able to try them out. 
The Quad S2 is a great speaker for $1000.   You might want to consider it too. 
“but the compactness of so much trying to project from one area of a speaker design seemed to lose some definition and sparkle.“

...huh?

I too bought my setup from Magnolia, simply because I had to put some on my credit card.  Most employees at Magnolia are clowns and their c.s. Is borderline awful.  Just try getting them on the telephone at the store.  In addition, they have to order most of what I buy there yet they can’t nail down a delivery date and when it does come in, there a 50/50 shot at it being the right product. Do yourself and local community a favor and support your local “mom and pop” hifi store whenever possible.

I am not a B&W fan but I do agree that at Magnolia, they did have more sparkle up top than the kefs.  They were being demo’d through a $2000 integrated Marantz.