Krell Power Consumption

Hi,

I'm a bit new to ultra high end. I'm considering a Krell Evolution 402. One thing that jumps out at me is the power consumption in standby. The manual says it draws over 300 watts in stand by and recommends that you leave it on all the time. 300 watts 24/7. Good grief. Is this bogus or just the price you pay for a serious amplifier?

thanks for any advise.
Ag insider logo xs@2xwrf
Even the lower consumption is 4x what my refrigerator draws.
The new number is about 6.5 kwh/day.

Does anyone have a kill-a-watt meter to actually measure this?
Now, the ASP modules COME with an on-board SMPS. There will need to be some modifications made for these additional power supply components. Bel Canto adds a board in the top monos.
B&O warranty considerations will apply, but as long as the modifier covers it, I'm ok.

I'm just curious what the supposed effect of PFC is on your amp or sound? Making your power supply look more like a resistor to the power company? I don't get it.
Also, what is the measured PF of any amp? Does anyone have any data? I may measure my amp using test tones to get some idea.
Magfan .. Monster has a power stablizer that meters and displays power consumption . I no longer have mine but it was very interesting to observe .
" what the supposed effect of PFC is on your amp or sound?"

If done right - enourmous !!!

It suppose to make your power supplies fully regulated i.e. to remove ripple and other terrible artifacts power supply do create - usually resulting in addional ear-piercing odd-order distortions.

I don;t know if Jeff Rowland audiophile or Spectron Audio pro audio amplifiers power supplies with PFC are fully regulated.....
Dob,
As far as I know, regulation and PF should be unrelated.
PF is a measure of the reactance of a load, be that inductive or capacitive.
A (perfect) resistor has a PF of 1.0 while at a PF of 0, no work is done.

I'd be curious to know how PF and regulation relate.

Thin Ice alert:
Isn't regulation simply how well the PS maintains voltage under load? Aren't their either formula answers or 'rule of thumb' answers to how much capacitance a PS needs given voltage and proposed power output? Doesn't that kick out a %ripple number....lower generally being better?