Lightspeed Attenuator - Best Preamp Ever?

The question is a bit rhetorical. No preamp is the best ever, and much depends on system context. I am starting this thread beacuase there is a lot of info on this preamp in a Music First Audio Passive...thread, an Slagle AVC Modules...thread and wanted to be sure that information on this amazing product did not get lost in those threads.

I suspect that many folks may give this preamp a try at $450, direct from Australia, so I thought it would be good for current owners and future owners to have a place to describe their experience with this preamp.

It is a passive preamp that uses light LEDs, rather than mechanical contacts, to alter resistance and thereby attenuation of the source signal. It has been extremely hot in the DIY community, since the maker of this preamp provided gernerously provided information on how to make one. The trick is that while there are few parts, getting it done right, the matching of the parts is time consuming and tricky, and to boot, most of use would solder our fingers together if we tried. At $450, don't bother. It is cased in a small chassis that is fully shielded alloy, it gets it's RF sink earth via the interconnects. Vibration doesn't come into it as there is nothing to get vibrated as it's passive, even the active led's are immune as they are gas element, no filaments. The feet I attach are soft silicon/sorbethane compound anyway just in case.

This is not audio jewelry with bling, but solidly made and there is little room (if any) for audionervosa or tweaking.

So is this the best preamp ever? It might be if you have a single source (though you could use a switch box), your source is 2v or higher, your IC from pre-amp to amp is less than 2m to keep capaitance low, your amp is 5kohm input or higher (most any tube amp), and your amp is relatively sensitive (1v input sensitivity or lower v would be just right). In other words, within a passive friendly system (you do have to give this some thought), this is the finest passive preamp I have ever heard, and I have has many ranging form resistor-based to TVCs and AVCs.

In my system, with my equipment, I think it is the best I have heard passive or active, but I lean towards prefering preamp neutrality and transparency, without loosing musicality, dynamics, or the handling of low bass and highs.

If you own one, what are your impressions versus anything you have heard?

Is it the best ever? I suspect for some it may be, and to say that for a $450 product makes it stupidgood.
pubul57
George, I very much appreciate your answer to my questions. I hope that your explanations also provide help to others.
You are semi right Roy, each package of the quad matched set has a 1 x led and 1 x ldr inside it.
But it is the led part that will light up at close to it's specified max brightest when the volume is min or max, this is why at half volume it lights up at half brightness.

Cheers George

Just a closer explanation of the LED subject.

An LED (light emitting diode)is probably the worlds most reliable active component if it's kept at or below it's max rating. Ever seen one blow?
And in the Lightspeed Attenuator they can never get to more than 80% of their max ratings, even at min or max level where their getting their max current.

BTW we have spell check now on this forum, yay to the administrators.

Cheers George
This is my first post on Audiogon. I rarely post anything anywhere and I’ve never before posted a review of an audio product. However, I feel that the Lightspeed attenuator is unique enough to justify an exception on my side. So, simply put, I would like to share my personal impressions and my recent experience with the Lightspeed Attenuator.

I will not tire you with an extended background of why and when I decided to buy the Lightspeed attenuator. I also believe that every theoretical explanation or technical detail has been discussed in this thread by now.

So, I’ll get right to the point when I attached the Lightspeed Attenuator to my CD player on one end and to my amp on the other end and played some music (Ayre CX-7e, EAR 534, respectively).

To me, it was evident from the first minute that the music sounded more relaxed, less harsh (especially in the highs), cleaner and the system sounded more transparent.
It was as if the noise floor has dropped and more details came up to the surface, so to speak.
To my relief, I could not hear any signs of stress or degradation in dynamics or in anything else for that matter.
To be certain that I wasn’t fooling myself, I asked my wife to come and have a listen, without telling her what to listen for. She also noticed a cleaner sound overall, more details (although she was not sure about that), but said it was a pleasure listening to the music (that is, more than ever before).
We then had a back to back comparison against my current preamp (EAR 834L), which confirmed our observations.

Honestly, I had my doubts and was not sure that my system would benefit from (any) passive preamp. I heard in the past passive preamps that didn't do good to a system, more than once. I am happy to find out that the Lightspeed Attenuator simply improved my system in a very noticeable way.
This is definitely the best value-for-money upgrade I have ever experienced, and probably one of the most significant and exciting. Well, it seems that this is it – I have crossed the line from active to passive :-) and I am not going back!

Thank you George for this beautiful product and thank you for all the support, patience and courtesy, I truly appreciate it.
Hi,

I am using Lightspeed Attenuator for 3 weeks already and want to share my impression here.

My system are;

Audio Note DAC 3.1 custom modded TC Reference MBX. by Bill Baker, Response Audio.with two separate mono power supply unit as same as preamp L2, Mac Mini, Offramp 5 USB convertor, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, XLO Purple Rush power cord
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle RCA IC. Synergistic Research Tesla Reference power cable.
Avalon Avatar speakers. MIT Oracle speaker cable.
Hydra 8. ZSB. Kubala Sosna Emotion PC.

I have modded my Decware Zen Mystery amp by removing volume pot out of signal path. It improves much substantial transparency and dynamics to my system. I don't use any preamp. The source Audio Note DAC is connected directly to Zen Mystery amp. So that I need to have volume control for my amp. I read a lot forum about active premap, passive preamp and all types of volume control from volume pot, shunt resistor volume pot, Auto Transformer volume control (ATVC) and Lightspeed attenuator. My decision to go with Lightspeed attenuator.

I love my system to have amp connected directly to source, no preamp. The sound is fabulous. I temporarily use digital volume control in Pure Music software while Lightspeed attenuator was not arrived yet. The digital volume control is acceptable but still creates some sound distortion that you can hear.

When Lightspeed attenuator arrives, I connect it between my amp and source as a preamp. I hardly hear any different between having lightspeed attenuator in my system and without it in my system. It is so transparency. I give 99.5% transparency to directly connecting between amp and source. The 0.5% transparency short is for need of extra one interconnect cable which affects on sound quality. I am very happy and highly recommend to use Lightspeed attenuator as your preamp if you love your amp directly connecting with your source. Or your source has a very excellent sound and you don't want preamp to change its sound quality. And your system don't have any impedance mismatch with Lighspeed attenuator.

For active preamp, therea re some benefits because there are two more functions in active preamp which passive preamp does not have;
1) Gain stage function. Its function is to increase voltage of signal to improve loud and dynamics of system.
2) Buffer stage, its function is to prevent impedance system mismatch. If your source sound is harsh, buffer stage may help to reduce harsh sound.
Then active preamp is benefit for some hifi system.

You select the best for your system.