Line Magnetic 219ia vs Mc225

I am currently changing things up my system. I am looking to purchase a tube amp and have narrowed down quite a bit. I am unsure however, whether it would be more wise to go with a SET design or a push-pull design. The two amps in particular that I have in mind are either a Line Magnetic 210ia or 219ia SET 845/300B amplifier, or a vintage mc225 push pull amp with 7591 tubes of course. I waved the idea of a primaluna around but am pretty set on the two amps I’ve mentioned.. More will be familiar with the mc225 than will be with the line magnetic, but they get stupendous reviews and feedback, placing them as some of the best out there, next to shindo etc., in the tube amp world. The 225 obviously has its cult following as well, and is renowned and said by many to be maybe the best Mac amp of all time. (doesn’t matter)... anyway..

I am predominantly a record listener, but also listen to some digital and CD. My source pieces consist of a VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Soundsmith Zephyr 2 cartridge, an OPPO 105, and a Marantz 7701 preamp/ phono stage.

I have sold my previous speakers, and will be picking up a pair of 60’s vertical cornwalls this week. 102db obviously means that i do not have to consider wattage as a factor at all. I listen at low to moderate levels generally. Even 2 watts will have the cornwalls blaring. At this point the consideration is quality of wattage and current. The current will be responsible on the power to drive the 15" bass drivers in the cornwalls way more so than the wattage. The line magnetic SET amps will have no issues driving my speakers as they have large quality made transformers and move tons of current.

Here is the thing. I listen to jazz, classical cello and bass arco works, etc etc. I like soft rock as well. I also listen to very aggressive forms of rock. Hardcore, metal, thrash/speed metal, power violence, sludge, crust punk, etc etc. Those familiar, know what i mean. I am unsure on whether to go with a SET amp or PUSH PULL. Will one suit me better, or does it not necessarily matter, and either should do just fine? I know that the mc225 is known for being tubey, however natural, tight low end etc. The 219ia is known for being extremely transparent, refined, with a bold tight low end, beautiful 300B midrange, etc. Read Steve Huff’s review of this amp if you are unfamiliar. He calls it just about the best amp he has ever heard..... However will it does for the heavier stuff i listen to? This music is listened to on LP form more than less, and is recorded well and many are analog recordings.

Any input by those familiar with these two amps OR with push pull/SET amp comparisons in their own setups, please chime it with advice. I do appreciate it!

jkull
To clarify further, I’m not saying that the impedance variations of the Cornwall will "hinder the sound." Most speakers have significant impedance variations as a function of frequency, in varying ways and to varying degrees. I’m just saying that a given tube amplifier is likely to sound somewhat different with the Cornwall than with many or most other speakers. I’m not saying that any such difference will necessarily be either for the better or for the worse with a given LM or other amplifier, or that any such difference would be more preferable or less preferable to you or to any other listener. I’m just saying that the sonic character of a given LM or other amplifier when used with the Cornwall stands a good chance of being somewhat different than what others may report when assessing the same amplifier with other speakers.

As far as the La Scala is concerned, after several minutes of searching I couldn’t find an impedance curve, and I have no particular knowledge of its internal design. So I can’t provide any insight as to how similar its impedance characteristics, and the resulting interaction of those characteristics with a given amplifier output impedance, may be to those of the Cornwall.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al

Jkull,
I view it this way, many people have/are using the Cornwall with a "wide" array of tube amplifiers. Overwhelming they report very satisfying outcomes, that’s significant and also encouraging. Could the LM 219ia or 508ia be the exceptions that won’t pair with the Cornwallis successfully? It’s possible, but I think unlikely given the "many" tube amplifiers that have been successful across a wide user database.

Of course I nor anyone else can guarantee any outcome, I believe that the odds are strongly in your favor. Although not identical pairings, just how different could the LM 219ia-Cornwall be from the LM amplifier -La Scala you recently heard? Believe me I see the point Al raises and it is a legitimate one. The testimony of legions of Cornwall owners with tube amplifiers spread over decades should provide you some measure of confidence.
Charles
jkull,

I have an option for you. I would suggest that you call Line Magnetic and run this by them, but that would be a lot of trouble given where they are. I just happen to know the importer for LM. We've been friends for years. If you tell him how you are going to use the amp, he'll give you honest advice. A lot of what I know about this type of gear, I learned from him. He has my complete trust.

Also, LM isn't the only line that Tone imports. He has Shindo and a few other similar brands, so he may have some alternate choices that are worth looking into. 

http://www.toneimports.com/index.html
(Go to the contacts section)

Shindo is a wonderful product but occupies a different price point.  Line Magnetic gains my appreciation for the value proposition.  True high quality audio performance at reasonable  (although not cheap) cost. To get similar power from Shindo is much more money. The LM 219ia or 508ia wouldn't be embarrassed by amplifiers 2-3x their cost. 
Charles 
Came across this.. LM219ia with cornwalls. NO you cannot decyfer truly, the sound in this room. For all I know it is recorded on a phone. However with the bit of audible discernance that is realistic with videos like this, it appears, that this sounds quite lovely.

https://youtu.be/wd1KrxUOaaE