Line Magnetic 219ia vs Mc225

I am currently changing things up my system. I am looking to purchase a tube amp and have narrowed down quite a bit. I am unsure however, whether it would be more wise to go with a SET design or a push-pull design. The two amps in particular that I have in mind are either a Line Magnetic 210ia or 219ia SET 845/300B amplifier, or a vintage mc225 push pull amp with 7591 tubes of course. I waved the idea of a primaluna around but am pretty set on the two amps I’ve mentioned.. More will be familiar with the mc225 than will be with the line magnetic, but they get stupendous reviews and feedback, placing them as some of the best out there, next to shindo etc., in the tube amp world. The 225 obviously has its cult following as well, and is renowned and said by many to be maybe the best Mac amp of all time. (doesn’t matter)... anyway..

I am predominantly a record listener, but also listen to some digital and CD. My source pieces consist of a VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Soundsmith Zephyr 2 cartridge, an OPPO 105, and a Marantz 7701 preamp/ phono stage.

I have sold my previous speakers, and will be picking up a pair of 60’s vertical cornwalls this week. 102db obviously means that i do not have to consider wattage as a factor at all. I listen at low to moderate levels generally. Even 2 watts will have the cornwalls blaring. At this point the consideration is quality of wattage and current. The current will be responsible on the power to drive the 15" bass drivers in the cornwalls way more so than the wattage. The line magnetic SET amps will have no issues driving my speakers as they have large quality made transformers and move tons of current.

Here is the thing. I listen to jazz, classical cello and bass arco works, etc etc. I like soft rock as well. I also listen to very aggressive forms of rock. Hardcore, metal, thrash/speed metal, power violence, sludge, crust punk, etc etc. Those familiar, know what i mean. I am unsure on whether to go with a SET amp or PUSH PULL. Will one suit me better, or does it not necessarily matter, and either should do just fine? I know that the mc225 is known for being tubey, however natural, tight low end etc. The 219ia is known for being extremely transparent, refined, with a bold tight low end, beautiful 300B midrange, etc. Read Steve Huff’s review of this amp if you are unfamiliar. He calls it just about the best amp he has ever heard..... However will it does for the heavier stuff i listen to? This music is listened to on LP form more than less, and is recorded well and many are analog recordings.

Any input by those familiar with these two amps OR with push pull/SET amp comparisons in their own setups, please chime it with advice. I do appreciate it!

jkull
Hi Jkull,

If you look at the section of the 7701’s manual on "Crossovers" on page 129 (pdf page 132) I believe you’ll conclude (as I have) that you are most likely sending a full-range signal into the LM, even though the sub output is set to be active.

Disabling the sub in the 7701’s menus would add further confidence, however. Take a look at the two pages immediately preceding that one (127 and 128), and also note 2 on page 158. Although it’s all presented in a very confusing manner, it appears that it should be possible to disable the sub output by setting "Subwoofer Mode" to "LFE," rather than "LFE + Main," or alternatively by setting "Subwoofer" to "No" under "Manual Setup/Speaker Configuration."

Regards,
-- Al

Al- thank you!

-Regarding the other discussion related to repairs. If my 219 ever needs it, it will go to my local guitar amp guys. He specializes in repairing, modifying, restoring valved and SS guitar and bass amps, as well as guitars etc. While audio amplifiers are a bit more technical in the grand scheme of things, I would rather drop it to him and let him take his time, than have it go to..... who knows..  especially with its weight, if it needs to be shipped out, that will already cost what the repair charge would be from my local guy. Another reason valves are nice. If you are familiar with working on several other valve amps, you can likely figure your way around most other of them as well. 

P.S. - NOS telefunken and NOS RCA 12AX7's arrived this morning :) 
Results with RCA’s and Telefunkens...
-Comparisons are done via CD (oppo 105) through 219ia on integrated mode. Using vinyl would not serve any function as I am still using my marantz 7701 built in phono, thus i would not be utilizing the pre amp of the 219ia with my current vinyl set up.  (to be replaced with ZP3 soon).

RCA’s- A pretty noticeable improvement. Soundstage widened, this sounds more open, deeper, more involving. Vocals even more real.

Let amp cool. Roll in the west germany smooth plate telefunkens.

Teles- God forbid. Any even bigger improvement. The vocals are SURREAL. The instruments even more separated, the soundstage huge, everything is smooth and lush. I am blown away right now. Their is so much detail and NOTHING unwanted is present. I do not see how music could sound better than this.

The decision to go with a low powered SET tube amp and horns from large 500w SS mono blocks is 150% rewarded. I will never look back with how things not sound but ’feel’. It is truly not even comparable, my previous setup vs this. It is a world of difference in enjoyment and naturalness. Natural natural natural. I think even my wife will be able to notice this with ease.

I just turned on some heavy music and the tele's are amazing still. These are i believe a close dated pair as the both have identical printing, diamond labeling and such. Both have a K printed on them. Test at 1460/1350 and 1480/1455. Nice to know these tales are supposed to last forever.......  Mullards will come tomorrow, but i dont have faith in them beating out the teles...
Managed to grab a pair of NOS western electric 310A’s from an estate sale on eBay this morning. From the same run of production, new in box, listed for $250 OBO, managed to grab them for just $175. Good timing. Hoping to reap an improvement out of these as well.