Line Magnetic 219ia vs Mc225

I am currently changing things up my system. I am looking to purchase a tube amp and have narrowed down quite a bit. I am unsure however, whether it would be more wise to go with a SET design or a push-pull design. The two amps in particular that I have in mind are either a Line Magnetic 210ia or 219ia SET 845/300B amplifier, or a vintage mc225 push pull amp with 7591 tubes of course. I waved the idea of a primaluna around but am pretty set on the two amps I’ve mentioned.. More will be familiar with the mc225 than will be with the line magnetic, but they get stupendous reviews and feedback, placing them as some of the best out there, next to shindo etc., in the tube amp world. The 225 obviously has its cult following as well, and is renowned and said by many to be maybe the best Mac amp of all time. (doesn’t matter)... anyway..

I am predominantly a record listener, but also listen to some digital and CD. My source pieces consist of a VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Soundsmith Zephyr 2 cartridge, an OPPO 105, and a Marantz 7701 preamp/ phono stage.

I have sold my previous speakers, and will be picking up a pair of 60’s vertical cornwalls this week. 102db obviously means that i do not have to consider wattage as a factor at all. I listen at low to moderate levels generally. Even 2 watts will have the cornwalls blaring. At this point the consideration is quality of wattage and current. The current will be responsible on the power to drive the 15" bass drivers in the cornwalls way more so than the wattage. The line magnetic SET amps will have no issues driving my speakers as they have large quality made transformers and move tons of current.

Here is the thing. I listen to jazz, classical cello and bass arco works, etc etc. I like soft rock as well. I also listen to very aggressive forms of rock. Hardcore, metal, thrash/speed metal, power violence, sludge, crust punk, etc etc. Those familiar, know what i mean. I am unsure on whether to go with a SET amp or PUSH PULL. Will one suit me better, or does it not necessarily matter, and either should do just fine? I know that the mc225 is known for being tubey, however natural, tight low end etc. The 219ia is known for being extremely transparent, refined, with a bold tight low end, beautiful 300B midrange, etc. Read Steve Huff’s review of this amp if you are unfamiliar. He calls it just about the best amp he has ever heard..... However will it does for the heavier stuff i listen to? This music is listened to on LP form more than less, and is recorded well and many are analog recordings.

Any input by those familiar with these two amps OR with push pull/SET amp comparisons in their own setups, please chime it with advice. I do appreciate it!

jkull
I am glad that you are all finding out the virtues of the LM gear.
I previously had the 518ia and found that the 12ax7 input tubes are in a configuration that one follows the other with the right hand tube being first. This allows the tubes to be mixed and don't need matched pairs!

I found that the 5751 gold labels black plate to be outstanding mixed with a Mullard 12ax7 long box plate. Strangely Siemens EL34s instead of the 6L6 driving the Psvane WE 1:1 845's. I was using a metal base Mullard 5ar4. After changing the coupling caps to Duelund's and adding Lundahl grid chokes the sound was outstanding compared to an already very good stock unit........

I have since sold the 518ia and bought the LM503pa mono blocks... man are they good! I have changed the coupling caps and added the grid chokes as per the 518ia. Replaced the signal resistors to the new Audio Note silver Tantalum's, they took a long time to burn in to the extent that they were almost un-listenable. It was worth the wait. I was using the Psvane WE845's and have now upgraded to Elrogs (fingers crossed they hold up, however they now come with a 1 year warrantee) This was a very large step up. Driving them I have the Takasuki 300b's and NOS russian 310a's. I look forward to some reviews on the WE NOS 310a's.
I have some Elrog 300b's on order.......

For rectifier duty I am using the Psvane 1:1 WE 274b to good results, however I may change them to sone GEC U52's.

The amps really amaze me driving jbl everest horns with a 2" B&C dcm50 paper compression driver (new take on an old RCA driver) on top of a 15" lenehan built bass box and a Fostex t500amk2 compression high frequency horn!

pixelplay,

Can you describe what you differences you heard in the 518 between just using 12ax7s , and the shift to a 12ax7 coupled with a 5751?

Figured a good time to revive and touch back into this thread I created before I even owned the LM219ia. I do not care for focus and sophistication in this post, so I am just going to rant away, lol...

Often an interest in chasing the ideal audio presentation for someone leads to desires to upgrade, downgrade, make lateral moves, experiment, whatever. I've had the amp for idk how many months it's been, have to scroll back to see..... Anyhow

This amp sounds better than ever to me... Without me having to even 'try'.  It has opened up, become more liquid, and I am obsessed with how well it sounds through my cornwalls. So balanced. Such excellent separation. And the ability to sound wonderful even at quiet volume levels. The only tube changes are currently WE310A's and telefunken 12AX7's.  Eventually I'll probably roll the 300B's next to PSVANE WE reps.  I'm in no rush, it isn't even needed.. This amp through my cornwalls is full, present, live sounding, etc.  

I'll never utilize a subwoofer again for listening. Full range speakers are so much more balanced. Yes I've played with subs to no end. Big, expensive, nice subs. Never again. In my experience, it creates artificial sound and interference. Maybe for club music or hip hop only, which I don't mess with.... 

I have found that the simpler the system the better thus far in my experience. My feeings are that, with this being perhaps a 'hobby', sometimes people want to keep buying and buying to better, but it doesn't always work that way, especially in a snake oil industry that wants you to do exactly that.

SET into high efficiency speakers with  'decent' interconnects is officially my cup of tea. And I know that now. Simplicity and ease. And regarding my initial concerns...A set amp in high efficiency speakers does extremely aggressive music with expertise. So much better than my previous 1000w worth of solid state amperage into my B&W towers. Not even comparable.. Looking back.. In comparison. It sounded like a piercing, cluttered, fatiguing mess of sound. 

I am very please with this amp and have no intentions of replacing it.  Thank you to the members who provided advice to me intitially on the purchase, and resolution to my goals within this thread.

Hi jkull,

I appreciate your update post. You did make a pretty drastic change in the direction of your audio system (mega watt solid state driving demanding speakers). I’m happy for you that you took a chance with a near polar opposite approach and have found such  satisfaction.

Simple circuit lower power amplifiers and efficient easier driven speakers is a very fine option that can provide long term contentment. Do you that you’re listening to music more often and/or for longer listening sessions ? Is there more of an emotional connection to the music?

Charles

jkull glad to hear you are so happy that's what this hobby is all about! I took a jaunt out too my favorite stereo store yesterday and feel reinvigorated myself! Happy listening and keep us posted if anything changes!