Listening to equipment at home before you buy

This discussion is a recommendation for PS Audio.

I just retired, am new to the audiophile hobby and am enjoying it. (Hobby does have a steep "learning curve.")  I currently have a Jolida JD302CRC tube amp, teac UD-301 dac/preamp and Vandy 2CE sig speakers.  I like my current system but want to try a solid state power amp to compare the sound to the Jolida.

I have been watching the PS Audio videos and decided to do a home trial of the Stellar S300. I tested the amp at home for 30 days and preferred my current amp and returned the S300 to PS Audio. The return of the amp was as advertised, PS Audio paid shipping both ways with my full purchase price refunded.  I highly recommend PS Audio to anyone who wants to test their equipment at home.
128x1282tuby
No, that is not correct, the ultrasonic spuriae in most amps with a class D output stage is not representative of class A, B, H, etc amps in any way shape or form. Here in the Stereophile bench tests of another PS Audio Stellar amplifier, you can clearly see that a low pass filter is used so as not to interfere with the test setup. The amp is compromised in its ability to pass a clean square wave without ringing:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

Figure 3 also shows a 1K sine wave dirtied by ultrasonic noise. You just don’t see this stuff in traditional output stages. They measure it at .8 volts at the speaker terminals centered at 465k. Show me an amp with a class A/AB output stage with this kind of behavior.

Which is not to say that they are not excellent examples of this topology, or that there are not more important criteria than passing a square wave or the presence of ultrasonic noise.
I have heard a few Class D amps and from what I heard, they are not quite ready for prime time.  For myself, I would never own one, especially since I despise bright (detail oriented) sound.
Ditto to Veridian's "not an audiophile" statement. I bought some of my equipment used.  If I didn't like it, I could hawk it like someone did to me.  I ended up keeping almost all of it. One caveat is I treat my gear like a body part for a transplant, others treat theirs like a football.  I never have figured why some used equipment looks like it was kept in a churning cement mixer. 
2 tuby
I would buy 'up" but only to the point where you can discern a performance difference. I have to guard against falling for latest tech breakthroughs on materials and distortion when they often offer no audible improvement. If a leaf Tweeter sounds worse than a metal dome, buy the dome. If a superior metal dome sounds worse than a lowly cone, by the cone. I learned this the hard way.
Browndt-Pass Labs is at the top of my short list of amps to listen to but does Reno HiFi dmo in NY?

Richopp-I wish you were still in business

viridian-I have read about different classes of amps and heard different opinions about which class is better but I as someone who has never heard a Class D, I needed to hear the amp for myself.  Some ears prefer Class D?

So A
udiogon members, I am in the market to purchase a new or used solid state amp that I would like to listen to in my home, new or used does not matter, but I as a newbie I think used make more sense. Can you recommend a B&M shop that will be be able to help me improve my audio experience?

I live 50 miles north of New York City. 

PS- Audiogon members,thank you for you guidance