Looking for a DAC for the Squeezebox Touch

I'm new to digital since buying a Squeezebox Touch a few months ago. The Touch is connected to an external USB hard drive that contains cd ripped Flac files. I'm looking to buy a DAC for around $1k from the SB Touch and connect it to my Sim I-7. I'm considering the Moon 100D and the Wyred4sound Dac1 based on some reviews and comments in various forums. I might consider increasing my budget to possibly the 300D and Dac2 if it would make a substantial difference.
128x128ronrags
Bondmanp, as you stated,it would be a difficult choice without a return option. I'll consider it but I need to do more research.
I was in the same boat not long ago and my short list was very similar to yours. In doing my research I soon realized that most people involved with primarily digital audio setups are on a different better or worse scale than the analog side. You can usually trust the, "it sounds better," remark, but I found just how much better is much less than analog. So, don't stress your budget unless digital is going to be your new primary source.

i5 Mini Mac 8GB, Pure Music > Miecord ethernet cable > Air Port Extreme > Squeezebox Touch / Channel Island Pwr Spl> StraightWire Data-Link RCA SP/DIF > Metrum Acoustics Octave DAC >

If there's ethernet anywhere in your audio chain study up on Miecord. Don't go nuts on SP/DIF cable, Berkeley Audio ships Straightwire with their gear. In my perfect world I would lose the wireless and have a dedicated Mini and a display which would change things to USB and possibly a different DAC that would cost twice as much. Screw that! This set up is surprisingly good.

I'm replacing a Denon 5900 Universal DVD/SACD with the full boat ModWright Absolute Truth tube output stage and outboard power supply modifications. This player was equal to and usually better than those DAC's on my short list.

I need to point out that my experience with digital is limited to auditioning seven DAC's in my system and I'm not counting anything I've heard elsewhere.

That said, the little $700 Metrum Octave has been a stunning surprise. I was unable to audition this DAC but I can honestly say that everything I've read about it is true. IMO, there is a fundamental difference between LP and Digital that will NEVER be the same. The better or worse is not the point. For the first time I'm hearing an ease and lushness that, while different, is as nice as analog. For me this was huge and makes suggesting the Octave easy.

Now, if your all bothered by the need for 192, USB, Balanced, etc. then my research took to Empirical Audio and the soon to be Hot Rod DAC or Lampizator $1500 - $6000.

The best advise I can give is, don't go overboard, remember the incremental improvements are small and the cost of diminishing returns and quick obsolescence is stupid. Save your money for great speakers.

Read the comparison between Elberoth2's dCS and the Metrum Octave in the, "Experience with Metrum Octave DAC," thread.
Vic,

I appreciate your response especially your advise not to go overboard. Digital is not my main source but I would like to hear music smooth and full and not too digital. From what I read the Rega and Burson might fit the bill for under $1k. I'll look into the Octave also. My digital system is simple, I'm using the Squeezebox Touch connected with a USB cable to an external hard drive and will feed the dac with a coax cable.
I like how the guys at Burson design their gear around the true analog sound, adding the DA-160 would make a nice mix between analog and digital. Have a listen to it if you have a retailer near.