Looking for ACCURATE SPEED turntable/tonearm combo

I'm ready for a new (or used) turntable. My number one concern is accurate speed. I don't want to see bars moving when I check turntable speed with my KAB strobe. I would like to keep the price of a turntable/tonearm combo to under $1500 used, but will spend up to $2000 if necessary to get accurate speed. Prefer not to go vintage. Want something reliable. I will purchase a cartridge (under $500) once I have bought the turntable/tonearm. Not crazy about getting a Technics DD table. What would you recommend in this price range? Rega? VPI? Pro-Ject?
tube540
Ketchup,

As Dgarretson said, transient-induced speed variations are unlikely to be visible with a strobe. Our strobe wouldn't pick up most of them, though it's more resolving than the KAB (Paul built it in a CAD program). We're talking about time shifts lasting only as long as a single beat.

MarkD51,
For better or worse, we don't have to listen intently or "try" to hear this. We just do. We don't find this sensitivity diminishes our enjoyment of music played well. I believe it may enhance it. We have thousands of LP's we enjoy hearing repeatedly, though I admit we've heard many othes we'd gladly use for driveway resurfacing material. ;-)

BTW, a heavier platter does not eliminate speed variations from stylus drag. Newton forbade that when he discovered the laws of motion. All else being equal, a platter with higher rotational inertia lowers the frequency and reduces the amplitude of speed shifts. But it can't eliminate them.

Whether they're audible is up to the ears doing the listening. We hear them despite our 35 lb. platter if something's not right, or when testing an inferior belt material. The improvements we described and others confirmed on the "Upgrade for 1/2" mylar belt" thread demonstrate this beyond any doubt. Most users on that thread have heavy platters, but they have no difficulty hearing differences in speed stability made by a belt change.
Dear Tube540: Accurate speed?, IMHO almost any single TT can give it ( DD/BD) what is not so easy is accurate speed stability over time, because you want ( example ) 33.33rpm over a period of at least 20-25 minutes, this kind of stability is very hard to find on BD TT ( at any price ) but you can get on DD ones in your price range.

My advise is that if you are really serious about music sound reproduction IMHO you could go for a Technics SP-10 MK2, this TT not only fulfil your speed target but it is a great performer by any TT audio standards.

I know people that already change its BD Walker's ( 46K+ ) for the SP-10. IMHO the Sp-10 is very hard to beat for almost any BD TT and don't worry about Technics failures and parts to fix it: the Sp-10's does not know what is a failure, a very trusty TT.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Doug: IMHO I think that the stylus drag subject is totally TT dependent, this subject ( as you know ) is an old one and already treat on some other threads.

My experience on my Acoustic Signature TT's where I'm using a cotton/silk thread is that I can't hear any distortion due to stylus drag and not only with one cartridge but even with three cartridges in the same track. I'm not saying that it does not happen what I'm saying is that on my TT is no audible, maybe I'm lucky about.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.