Looking To Buy Wide Screen TV

I am in the process of looking to buy a wide screen tv.
What are some things I need to look for in a wide screen?
With all the changes in digital TV I am getting different stories from a few local businesses.
Who has the best prices and service.
All information would help me out tremendously.
lefty0011
Lefty, If you go to the forum main page and type in widescreen in the search box, you should get quite a bit of information from previous discussions. I find that I find more information this way since most people don't like repeating themselves if they have already discussed it.
You are smart to come here to get the real scoop, stores are usually out to sell what brand they have a dealership for, end of story... Best of Luck.
I did some looking this last weekend at a local high end audio store that carried many of the more popular brands.

I looked at Pioneer, Sony, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Panasonic and the new Sharp DLP projector. I was really impressed with the new flat tube Sony Wega 40" (currently the largest tube TV). For rear projection (50" and above) the Pioneer looked the best to me.

All of these new TV's have capability for HDTV. Some have tuners built in, some leave it to the buyer to decide. These are purchase decisions that only you can make, depending on what you watch, what else you own and where you live.

When you go look, take a DVD that you are familiar with. Do not depend on the "canned" demos the stores use. Even if you must look at more than one location, a direct hook up will at least make the comparison on somewhat even ground.

Spending this much money, a salesman should not object to spending 15 minutes plugging in a DVD player for comparison. The only thing you would not have control over is individual TV adjustments (possibly correct, most likely NOT), and room viewing conditions.

I know if I were spending several thousand dollars and considering I would have to live with the decision for several years, I would do tests whether they were happy with me or not.