Looking to compare SACD sound with redbook

I am sure there is a thread that gives opinions on SACD sound versus quality redbook but I cant find it here. I am thinking of replacing my current NAK MB1 into Aragon D2A2 DAC, with the NorthStar Transport and DAC, but concerned about plunking the $$$ if SACD is so much better. I have extensive redbook collection that I doubt I would replace unless its an amazing difference. Live in a rural area and cannot audition stuff easily. Help!
Gammajo
128x128gammajo
Gammajo, I've been using a Sony SCD-1 SACD/cd unit for the last 3 years without complaint. You may find that it's build quality and construction is unparalleled for it's price range and it's sonics should match just about anything near it.

I would imagine that you should be able to find a used one for under or around $2k.

-IMO
In was a SACD - DVD-A early adopter (dummy), and have about 40-50 of them.
I'm getting tired of buying the same thing once again, in another format, and suspect we'll have something yet again when the blue ray DVD format hits the market.
While my DSOTM, American Beauty and other discs are fun novelties when friends come over, the format is dead / dying, and I'd put $ into the redbook format disc playback, as we know (we think), that they'll be around for a long time.
So, in cases where discs are hybrids and contain both SACD layers and redbook layers, is the redbook layer the most recent remastering pre SACD?

Not necessarily. It might be based on the SACD mix, or it might be something entirely different.
If your tastes tend toward Jazz and Classical then there are plenty of titles to chose from (IMO). Most of all the new releases of the last couple of years are now hybrids. Which means they are backward compatible and is the way SACD should have been released in the begining; again IMO. Small labels such as Hyperin, Channel Classics, Fidelis and the such are releasing new issues on hybrid discs. I find there sound especially on SACD to be astonishing especially when compared to the redbook layer.

I am espeicially fond of the Patricia Barber releases on the Mobile Fidelity label. I have both the redbook original and the Mo-Fi release and the SACD is simply superior to the redbook original. I also have several on the Pentone Label of Mozart symphonies that are outstanding as well same goes for the Fidelis releases.

I do believe that SACD will be a niche market for audiophiles and will probably never amount to much for the mass market. Vinyl was written off for dead many years ago but there still seems to be a strong cult following with new presses being marketed all the time. Just my thoughts; fun thread.

Chuck
What initially attracted me to SACD was the remastering of my favorite artists (mentioned in my last post). What has kept me interested is the Jazz and Clasical stuff that has come out. Most of my SACD's are Jazz and Classical. I too think SACD will continue to thrive as a niche format for mainly these two genres of music. I was not a big Jazz music listener until I started hearing some Jazz SACD's.

For some time now I have refused to buy non-hybrid discs. Thanks for restating my question Pabelson. Maybe there is not definitive answer to my question about what version the redbook layer of SACD's is? Great discussion,