Luxman Integrated - What do they sound like

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting myself a late 2018 Christma present or early 2019 birthday present.

Modern Luxman reviews are really hard to come by, and are generally just superlative without being very qualitative. I mean, it's all "rah rah rah!! " and no actual details.
For anyone who has listened to them lately, can you tell me what they actually sound like in comparison to other nice amps I might have heard?

Thank you,
Erik

erik_squires
@builder3
@jasonsim
All good info,t hanks guys!

I have Class D and they need DAYS to warm up, but they idle at 7W each, so I don't mind leaving them on. I’ve also heard some tube gear which really does take 30-45 minutes to sound it’s best.

Oddly, the last piece I heard was an ARC tube integrated, and cold it sounds good, then awful, then finally really good again.
jason, the delay when you first power up the unit is the protection circuit. Actually, they call it something else, but it's in the manual on page 1.
@erik_squires 
Hope all this helps!  Let us know, if you decide to try a Luxman out.
@erik_squires I recently acquired a new Luxman 507ux; So far I like it very much. Initially used with Focal Aria 948s, and now Green Mountain Callistos; very soon I will be taking delivery of new Dynaudio Contour 30's and look forward to that pairing.

The Luxman seems to do everything I expect from a well designed and engineered amplifier; This is my very first Luxman component. Without embellishing the details excessively; this is my assessment thus far;

Midrange/ vocal reproduction; superb for any amplifier, SS or Tube. Just seems right; vocals seem detached from electronics with no obvious colorations or imperfections;
Treble: very extended and sweet; harmonic overtones are rich and natural; metallic sounds metallic, reeds sound reedy; trumpets have excellent bite and texture; crash and ride cymbals sound real with excellent transients and decay..etc. zero issues with treble. Acoustic guitar is vibrant and appropriately steely or nylon-ish depending on the guitar; overall among the best I can remember hearing in my system over the years. The sparkle is there if it's on the recording.

Bass; deep, powerful, fast, energetic, 'round' but not overblown or ripe; this amp holds nothing back; if the speakers are up for it this amp will deliver the goods;

Imaging/sense of scale; similar to the treble comments; if it's in the recording this amp holds nothing back; image and soundfield will be rendered directly proportional to recording virtues; nothing more/nothing less.

Overall musicality and 'feel': I think this amp is pretty special and I like it a ton; I like everything about it; I have not yet discovered anything negative about it at all; I do sometimes over-react when getting new gear but I can tell that this amp is very likely a long term keeper; I think I would have to spend at least 2-3x more to get any very noticeable improvement in any category; I think at this level its more like just finding the thing that makes you forget the most about the equipment; there will be differences in amps for sure and no one can say what is more right; what's right for you is what you like and WANT to listen to.

Build quality; superb fit and finish; attention to detail is spot on. Just love the mechanical design and the feel of the controls. It feels bulletproof; super solid and chunky.

Playback Flexibility; I LOVE the OPTION to use tone controls. We all have music we love on crap recordings and that just needs a few dB of bass boost; This is HUGE value add for me. HUGE. 

Warmup time: I could not hear any differences in starting from cold to on for days; my PL HP Dialogue on the other hand needed ~60 minutes to come on song. That really annoyed me. I just don't have that kind of time these days (kids, work, life, other priorities, etc). The amp is consistent and sounds awesome all the time.

Value; I did not pay full MSRP for this, but even at list price of $6,500 I don't think I could do any better by going the separates route; Hopefully it remains issue free and lasts well into the future; I look forward to listening time with it;

rest of system for reference:
SOURCE: Auralic Aries network player
USB Cable; Wireworld starlight 7 "red"
DAC: Meitner MA-1
INTERCONNECT: Cardas Golden Presence RCA
SPEAKER CABLE: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6, 2M

If you have the chance to get one, I highly recommend it;
Cheers.

so......on the beginning I will say that I own 509x and got it in the trade from twice the price Dartzeel LHC208.
I had following amps at home in my system before I finally settled down for L509x:
1. Nagra Classic Integrated
2. DartZeel LHC208
3. Hegel H160
4. Hegel H360
5. PassLab INT150
6. Hegel H20/P20
7. Luxman L550AX2
8  Luxman L590AX
9. Shindo Monbrison with Haut Brion
10. Line Magnetic LM219a
11. Sudden A21SE
12. Ars Sonum Filarmonia
13. Ars Sonum Gran-Filarmonia

I used to own DeVore Fidelity Orangutan 0/96 but finally settled on DeVore Super Nines as being best fit for my room and music taste. 
Luxman D08u is used as a source and Audience Au24X cables across the whole system.

Ask me more specific question about 509x and I will do my best to answer it.