Maggies or Martin Logans?

I think it is time to upgrade again and I am thinking about going with electrostatics. I don't know much about them other than I fell in love with a pair of Martin Logans at a local shop. My room is somewhat small (16' x 18') and I have 2 NHT 1259 home built subs so I am not concerned with low end. I would like to stay under $1200. Does anyone have a suggestion on what speakers would fit in my room and sound good? Is placement as critical as I have heard from others (more critical than regular tower speakers)? They will be used as mains in both two channel and HT. Thanks for the suggestions.
kemp

I have owned both. My suggestion is listen to both with the music you *really* plan to play and you will make your choice very easily.

I currently run the ML CLS with a REL sub. It is a really nice combination. It has its limits though...

For maggies, I would only look at the true ribbons. I have owned some of the quasi ribbons, and they are not the same.

mdl.
Although I generally prefer the sound of Maggies to MLs when it comes to the models that are available used in your price range, I will point out that in a tightly-spaced HT setup, the curved panel design of the MLs may be preferrable for it's wider-angle listening window. I'm not convinced that dipole radiators are a good idea in smaller rooms (though yours might not be too small, depending on the layout and setup), and the answer to your placement-sensitivity question is yes, panel speakers can be more prone to response anomolies than box speakers if not optimally positioned. Additionally, you will need to satisfy yourself that a small panel speaker won't limit you too much dynamically if you like to run loud, and that your amplification is up to the task of driving either a relatively insensitive load (Maggie), or a high-capacitance, low-impedance load (ML), both of which can be more demanding and less forgiving than an average dynamic coil box speaker load.
Before you spent big $ on those I will suggest that you try a used pair of SMG (±$250).You could resell them very easily & they will give you a taste,at home,of the path you are following.Don't forget that those speakers are very sensitive to the electronic you are using;they will often start a "quest" for the best sound & spur the "upgrading devil" in you.IMHO don't go with ML if you don't have a very high level of electronic already like:Audio Research-Krell-BAT-Bryston ST-Rowland & be prepared to spend 2K on interconnect & speakers cables.
I would suggest you look at VMPS, dipole ribbons and without the placement problems of ML and Maggies. I love the ML speakers, but they need to be about 5 feet off the wall and require subs for bass. VMPS has excellent bass can be close to the wall and are priced more reasonably than ML.
Maggies, especially the full ribbon models (not quasi-ribbon). I'd take a 3.6/R over any ML speaker any day fo teh week. YMMV.