Magnepan MG20 tweaks ?

Hello,

I have MG-20's in my system and would like to improve the sound.
I power them with a pair of Pass Labs X600 and I'm very happy of the sound!

I have questions for Maggie owners :
-What are the best way to improve the passive x-over (to replace caps, inductor... internal wire?).
-What type of cables are you recommanding from the MG X-over and the speakers ? (cardas seems to be very appreciate).
I'm leaving in Europe so please give me the links to see the products in Internet.
Thanks,
All the Best. Laurent
lolo78
I would recommend bypassing the Magnepan crossover and using the Bryston 10b Sub active crossover--much cleaner than the standard Magnepan crossovers (although the MG20 one may be better--I don't know). I use it with MG3.6r's and Pass Labs amps and it sounds great.
You will find everything necessary for passive upgrades here: (http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf) Michael will also match that parts to 1% tolerance for you. If you were to bi-amp the panels: I'd recommend a slightly modded Dahlquist DQ-LP1 as the active hi/lo pass filter. They are getting rare, but well worth seeking out. There's a good description(on page 13) of the unit here: (http://www.avahifi.com/root/audio_basics/ab_pdf/ab1989.pdf ) Do you own the 20R or 20.1? I can send schematics if you don't already have them.
Hi Batalok. Thanks a lot, I started to check the www.humblemadehifi.com/Cap.html but they is nothing on Internet (nothing too with Google). But I found a French seller. I will ask him.
For the cross-X, I think that FM Acoustic will make the best job but cost a maxx!
I'm seriously thinking about Pass Labs CrossOver in the futur.
Hi Jaydial, Bypassing the Magnepan crossover is the best solution but I need to invest a lot for this (and for new amplifiers) and my priority is for the house currently... The Magnepan crossover amelioration is a way to wait.
From worst to best, here is the list from my listening experience and friends advises:
-1. Magnepan
-2. Marchand XM26
-3. Bryston 10b
-4. Pass Labs XVR1
Hi Rodman, I just start to have a look on the Percyaudio catalog. Whaouh what a large list! It seems that I am a little lost in there... I have a 20R pair. Yes, I would be nice if you can send me schematics of them. It will help me a lot.